Lawn Care Forum banner

Reel or Greens Mower Next?

15K views 57 replies 14 participants last post by  Jericho574 
#1 ·
Since 1991 I have used 3 different reel mowers (McLane, TruCut, and Locke) on my 6000 sf hybrid Bermuda lawn. The McLane was underpowered, the TruCut's clutch went out, and the Locke's reel-to-bed knife adjustment was difficult to maintain. Since I am in the market again, I would like to hear the pros and cons of staying with a reel or switching to a greens mower. (This topic might have already been covered on the forum.) If there are members who have used both, it would be interesting to hear their evaluations. I am leaning toward a 26-inch greens mower, since HOC can go up to 1.25 inches, and presumably their reel-to-bed knife adjustments are precise and stable. Thanks for your comments!

#8 ·
I have owned both and have to say that hands down a greens mower is WAY better than a regular reel mower in every aspect except being able to mower really close to things (fence, house........) I have owned a TruCut C25 10 blade reel and currently own a Baroness LM56. Everything on the Baroness is far superior to the TruCut and even though it's not as easy to adjust the HOC, it still doesn't take long at all to do so on the Baroness. You usually don't adjust the HOC that often anyway.

#10 ·
Mightyquinn said:
I have owned both and have to say that hands down a greens mower is WAY better than a regular reel mower in every aspect except being able to mower really close to things (fence, house........) I have owned a TruCut C25 10 blade reel and currently own a Baroness LM56. Everything on the Baroness is far superior to the TruCut and even though it's not as easy to adjust the HOC, it still doesn't take long at all to do so on the Baroness. You usually don't adjust the HOC that often anyway.
I haven't received the C27 I ordered yet and someone locally is selling a Baroness LM56G for $800. It looks in superb shape and his lawn looks fantastic. Is that something to jump on as a first time reel owner, or should I stick with the Tru-Cut?

#11 ·
gatormac2112 said:
Mightyquinn said:
I haven't received the C27 I ordered yet and someone locally is selling a Baroness LM56G for $800. It looks in superb shape and his lawn looks fantastic. Is that something to jump on as a first time reel owner, or should I stick with the Tru-Cut?
Is this the Baroness that is for sale in your area? Baroness LM56

Don't get me wrong, there is NOTHING wrong with a TruCut mower and it is a fine machine but having a greens mower will allow you to take your lawn to the next level if you ever want to go there. The Baroness is a great mower and I love mine but the only downside to owning one is that most of the parts for it are a lot more expensive than the parts for a JD, Toro or Jacobsen mower since there isn't a large aftermarket network for it since it is so new to the US market. With that being said though, there is a lot less to go wrong with it since there are no belts and it's all gear driven. Feel free to ask any questions you might have :thumbup:

#12 ·
Mightyquinn said:
gatormac2112 said:
Mightyquinn said:
Is this the Baroness that is for sale in your area? Baroness LM56

Don't get me wrong, there is NOTHING wrong with a TruCut mower and it is a fine machine but having a greens mower will allow you to take your lawn to the next level if you ever want to go there. The Baroness is a great mower and I love mine but the only downside to owning one is that most of the parts for it are a lot more expensive than the parts for a JD, Toro or Jacobsen mower since there isn't a large aftermarket network for it since it is so new to the US market. With that being said though, there is a lot less to go wrong with it since there are no belts and it's all gear driven. Feel free to ask any questions you might have :thumbup:
Yeah that's the one, I guess I should've known he would be a member here 😆

I wonder why it isn't working out for him though. Also, my lawn is nowhere near ready for a precision cut that would offer. However, I would hate to miss an opportunity on a great deal. Which is easier to maintain as far as reel to bedknife adjustments, backlapping, etc.? Which is easier to use on a gently sloped yard?

#14 ·
Mightyquinn said:
A greens mower will still give you a better cut on an uneven lawn than a TruCut will but you may have to mow at a higher HOC until you can sand the lawn and smooth things out.

How "gentle" is this slope?
A moderate slope. Its a roughly 7500-8000 sq.ft. front yard, the top of the lawn I'm guesstimating is 6 feet above the bottom of the lawn at a distance of 150 feet. Here are some pictures:

Also, I think I have Zoysia and I'm not even sure how low I can cut it. Its currently at a way-too-high 2.5" HOC. Any tips or feedback on whether my lawn dimensions/slope and grass type prohibit me from using a greens mower would be appreciated.

EDIT: I guess using basic math with a 6 ft drop and a 150 foot run its about a 4-5% slope.

#16 ·
I think your slope looks fine and you shouldn't have any issues with a greens mower.

As for getting it down to a reasonable HOC, you may have to wait until Spring to scalp it down and then start mowing at 1" or below(Max HOC on a Baroness is about 1"). It will be a dirty job come Spring as you have A LOT of material to remove but it can be done, just break it up over a few weeks so it isn't such a monumental job.

#17 ·
Mightyquinn said:
I think your slope looks fine and you shouldn't have any issues with a greens mower.

As for getting it down to a reasonable HOC, you may have to wait until Spring to scalp it down and then start mowing at 1" or below(Max HOC on a Baroness is about 1"). It will be a dirty job come Spring as you have A LOT of material to remove but it can be done, just break it up over a few weeks so it isn't such a monumental job.
Thanks for your insight. The Baroness sold unfortunately so I suppose I will start my reel adventures with the C27 I ordered, but depending on how things go next season will keep greens mowers in mind. I'm still curious about how low I can cut Zoysia, some references on line say no shorter than 1", others say no shorter than 1.5", and I've found one that says you can do 0.5' HOC. Not knowing the variety of Zoysia I have adds to the dilemma. The C27 I ordered has 7 blades. I know you had a 10 blade reel, do you think the 7 blade reel limits how low I can effectively maintain the HOC?

#19 ·
I was considering getting a TruCut C27 but this thread has me thinking now. Rather than a GM1000, I'm considering a GM1600 for the extra width and cutting height. My lawn is flat but bumpy at the moment, but I'm working on it and I cut at 1.5" with a rotary with very little scalping.

So if was a choice between a new C27 or an ~10 yo GM1600 for around $1000 less, which would you consider the better choice? Would maintenance be easier with the Toro? There seems to be no reel support just around here but I suppose the golf courses might be able to help. Anyone know any place nearish Florence, SC, for sharpening?

#21 ·
TC2 said:
I was considering getting a TruCut C27 but this thread has me thinking now. Rather than a GM1000, I'm considering a GM1600 for the extra width and cutting height. My lawn is flat but bumpy at the moment, but I'm working on it and I cut at 1.5" with a rotary with very little scalping.

So if was a choice between a new C27 or an ~10 yo GM1600 for around $1000 less, which would you consider the better choice? Would maintenance be easier with the Toro? There seems to be no reel support just around here but I suppose the golf courses might be able to help. Anyone know any place nearish Florence, SC, for sharpening?
I don't own a GM1600 so hopefully someone who does own one can comment on the specifics but depending on what you are looking for out of your lawn, I would go with the used greens mower over a used/new TruCut. The greens mower is just easier to work on and will give you a better quality of cut, IMO. I know Eastern Turf Equipment in Fayetteville,NC which is about 1.5 hours away does reel sharpening. Getting the reel sharpened isn't something you have to do very often so I wouldn't worry about it too much as I am sure you could find someplace/someone to get it done if needed. A local golf course during the off season would be a good place to start.

WarEagle26 said:
This is probably a stupid question, but what is the difference between a greens mower and a regular reel mower like a TruCut or some of the others mentioned in this thread?
Not a stupid question at all!! A greens mower is used to mow golf greens down to around .100" but can usually be adjusted up to around 1", depending on the model. They can also come with groomers and brushes that can help lift the grass before cutting to achieve a better cut and a groomer can cut the stolons that grow laterally creating new growing points. They are also built a lot stronger and heavier due to the fact that they are required to mow several hours a day every day. They usually have a drum on the rear for propulsion which helps create a nice stripe on the lawn but can become a PIA if you have a severe slope on your lawn. They are generally easy to work on since they are designed to be put back into service as quick as possible and are really easy to adjust the HOC and reel to bedknife.

A "reel mower" AKA TruCut/McClane are more designed for homeowners and even though are quality machines they are not built anywhere close to a greens mower. They usually have wheels instead of a drum so they can handle hills and slopes better and HOC adjustments are generally made with a lever of some type. Adjusting the reel to bedknife can be a more of a pain since you usually have to loosen some bolts and rotate the reel closer or further away from the bedknife to adjust it.

I am sure I forgot something or didn't explain it good enough so if anyone has anything else to add please feel free to do so :thumbup:

#22 ·
I recently passed on a Toro GM 1000 for $1000 to buy a used Tru-cut C25-7 for $900. The Tru-cut had only been used about 10 times due to an illness. The Toro had been cared for by an lawn wizard. I was really torn.

My primary decision in the process was having a small yard with many raised flower beds, tree ring, and other obstacles such as four utility boxes. The clutch on the Tru-cut is mandtory for my yard. No way I personally could do it with a greens mower without consistantly running into something. I feel that the higher hoc is desirable for my zoysia.

If my yard was smoother, larger, with less obstacles, I would have bought the Toro.

Remember, these guys are infected with a virus which makes them think super low is the only way to go. :D

#23 ·
TulsaFan said:
Remember, these guys are infected with a virus which makes them think super low is the only way to go. :D
As true as this may be, most of us understand that not everyone wants/needs to mow that low :D

I will say that once you start going low (below 1"), you almost want to see how low you CAN go!!

#25 ·
Mightyquinn said:
TulsaFan said:
As true as this may be, most of us understand that not everyone wants/needs to mow that low :D

I will say that once you start going low (below 1"), you almost want to see how low you CAN go!!
Isn't this the truth! Told my wife today the next step is to get a dump truck load of sand and start leveling the lawn! I believe she rolled her eyes, mumbled that she loved me, and walked away!

Seriously though even mowing at 1.75 with a rotary makes the lawn look awesome compared to 3", I may go down to 1.25 here in a couple weeks just for fun to finish off the season!

#26 ·
Great answers to the questions from TC2 and WarEagle26. One of the reasons I sold my Locke was none of the few local mechanics was familiar with the machine, and a couple of times the cutting head was reassembled wrong after the reel was ground. TC2, you might want to check with local golf courses to ask if they would sharpen a homeowner's reel mower. I had a 20" Tru-Cut before my 25" Locke, and I really liked the 25% increase in cutting width for my large patch of lawn (no trees, etc.). So I am attracted to the 26" greens ("collar/tee") mowers, but checking the used turf equipment sites, it appears there are far fewer of them for re-sale compared with typical greens mowers.

Does anyone have suggestions about how to evaluate a used reel/greens mower that is for sale? What do you look for in the posted pictures? What questions do you ask via emails, phone calls? And what do you check if you make the trip to lay eyes on it? As a general rule, if one buys from a used equipment site that advertises a "complete inspection, etc.," are the mowers less likely to have an unwelcomed surprise?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.