Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
It looks like the MAX HOC for TruCut mowers is 2-3/8".

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was wondering about that. the Fenway guy has a reel mower but also a lawn tractor mower.

but I think the infield is cut low and outfield high (in his book he even talks about modifying the grass height based on who they are playing against so it messes them up lol)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just my opinion; reel mowers probably work best below 1.5 to zero inch, Definitely a cleaner cut for sure than a rotary blade. 2 inches and above a rotary is going to do a decent job as long as you have a sharp blade. A power reel mower is pretty complicated compared to a 300.00 rotary anyone can buy at Walmart and will cut the lawn pretty good. I tried to take some grass down to 1 inch with my Lawn Boy that I put mulch on instead of getting a sod cutter. Not good, hard to even get the mower to move, any dip it would scalp of course I did not care but I could never see anyone using a rotary to cut a lawn below 2 inches. Toro makes hydraulic drive reel mowers that should have a large range of heights to cut, I know many soccer fields use these type to cut the filed below 2 inches which is where most soccer players like the height to be.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
HOC vs clip rate is the biggest factorfor a good cut with a reel, IMO.

The lower your HOC, the more blades and higher clip rate is optimum.

The higher the HOC, the less blades and lower clip rate is optimum.

I don't know the exact recommended clip rates for each HOC, but the above is the raw basics of HOC/Clip rate.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
Redtenchu said:
HOC vs clip rate is the biggest factorfor a good cut with a reel, IMO.

The lower your HOC, the more blades and higher clip rate is optimum.

The higher the HOC, the less blades and lower clip rate is optimum.

I don't know the exact recommended clip rates for each HOC, but the above is the raw basics of HOC/Clip rate.
Ideal conditions exist when clip rate = HOC. :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.