Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MQ's post here got me thinking this would be a great thread to start...

What lapping compound(s) do you use on your reel(s)?

I have some 120 Grit and 180 Grit from R&R Products. I haven't used anything else, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it seems to work great.

Their product description is:

Silicon Citrus Pre-Mixed Reel Sharpening Compound, manufactured by R&R Products, is a silicon based gel guaranteed not to separate. Silicon Citrus is biodegradable and water soluble for ease of cleaning when lapping is complete.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
What's your take on the 180 Grit compound? I've always wondered if there was an advantage to using a higher grit compound on the reels or not. I'm into knife sharpening so I know the difference between different grades of stones and belts and what they can do to knife edges.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Currently using the Loctite Clover and was using the NAPA plain old backlapping compound before. NAPA did a good job with easy clean up but the Clover seems to do a much better job (little harder to hose off though).

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mightyquinn said:
What's your take on the 180 Grit compound? I've always wondered if there was an advantage to using a higher grit compound on the reels or not. I'm into knife sharpening so I know the difference between different grades of stones and belts and what they can do to knife edges.
I think I read somewhere in some Toro documentation to start with 120 grit and finish with 180 grit on a greensmower, but I can't find it at the moment.

I did notice the following recommendations in a couple of R&R's lapping compound product descriptions:

- 120 grit for greensmowers and fairway units with 3-1/2" to 5" diameter reels
- 80 grit for fairway cutting units with 7" to 10" diameter reels​

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
I think it would work in a pinch but I have no idea how easy it is to wash off. I have used Clover Compound before and while it work great, it was a PIA to wash off the reel.

Backlapping Compound is designed to wash off easily with a garden hose.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Mightyquinn said:
I think it would work in a pinch but I have no idea how easy it is to wash off. I have used Clover Compound before and while it work great, it was a PIA to wash off the reel.

Thanks. I think I'll give it a try and report back how it washes off. Worst comes to worst if it's similar to the clover compound, would a scour pad easily remove it if the hose doesn't?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Mightyquinn said:

Thanks. I think I'll give it a try and report back how it washes off. Worst comes to worst if it's similar to the clover compound, would a scour pad easily remove it if the hose doesn't?

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
LIgrass said:
Mightyquinn said:

Yes, it would take a scrub brush or a Scotch-Brite pad to remove the residue. Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
SGrabs33 said:
10lbs of 120 grit from R&R will last a lifetime.

Hell, I got 5 lbs of 120 grit from PinHigh and I think THAT will last me a lifetime :thumbup:

I think you are going to have to put that in your will :lol:

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
I backlapped my 220B last night with 120 & 180 grit PinHigh that Red and MQ mentioned above. I'm really impressed with the results from the backlapping. Honestly the 120 grit was probably good enough, it was cutting paper and the blades looked good. I had the 180 so I had to try it. You could definitely tell it was less aggressive. I would compare it to wet sanding. Now the blades are smooth, almost polished and cutting beautifully.

If you're only wanting to buy one go with the 120 grit. It will be aggressive enough to get your reel/bedknife ground together and still give you a great edge.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I bought some 120 grit compound (just the sand portion, no paste) from a local shop (that will remain nameless because I'm done with them) that I mix with dish soap. Seems to work well for me. Dish soap washes off very nicely.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Where is the best place to buy compound? Checked pin highs website but there shipping is twice the price of the compound lol. Any good places to grab some?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.