Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
I hope the sprigging process works good for you Red and it fills in fast. :thumbup:

Topcat said:
I read somewhere that the clippings from when you verticut could be used as sprigs. Don't know where I read it and don't know if its fact.
This is true, as you are removing the stolons and rhizomes from the ground which is how bermuda grows and spreads. I have no idea what the success rater would be but it is an alternative you can use to fill in larger spots. You just need to water and fertilize them like you are seeding or just laid new sod.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Iriasj2009 said:
Awesome red! Maybe this is your plan but, , I wouldn't worry about leveling anytime soon. Just get that Bermuda growing and to fill in, then you can start leveling little by little. Feed it lots of fast release N.
100% correct, Any leveling I do now will get washed away in the next rain. I plan on giving updates weekly until it's filled in and leveled.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
wardconnor said:
How long would this take to fill in with minimal effort on your part if you were an average homeowner? I have no idea how fast warm season grasses creep.
Here are a couple pictures from my yard last year. First pic is on June 12th the bare spot is where I removed a large cedar tree. The second photo is the same area on September 26th. I only did a handful of plugs and sprigs, monthly fert and it got watered like the rest of the yard.

It could have covered faster if I would have did a grid pattern with the plugs like Red has done. I also could have pushed the N much more than I did but was happy with the results.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wardconnor said:
How long would this take to fill in with minimal effort on your part if you were an average homeowner? I have no idea how fast warm season grasses creep.
Minimal effort, that would depend a lot on the weather and soil conditions.

I'd hate to put a date on anything, as I haven't done a repair this large before. I think it's safe to say "Bermuda Grass would recover from damage much quicker than most grasses used in lawns today."

·
Registered
93 Posts
wardconnor said:
I planted a whole lawn with a similar method to Red's. Within 6 weeks you could call it a lawn, within 8 weeks it was a lawn and by 10 weeks I had to scalp it down as it was growing over concrete from all the urea I gave it!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.