Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Cool Season Mix, 24k
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In SW Connecticut. I'm surrounded by mature trees and have a few in the front yard myself. My neighbor has two enormous maples trees on the road they started dropping and blowing down to me around October 15th. I have Japanese maples that just started slowly dropping their leaves in the past 2 weeks. On top of that there are oaks that do whatever they want, an overgown magnolia and some Norweigen maples will still green leaves.

I would like to continue push mowing and will probably overseed again in two years. I'm running a 21" EV and also a EV handhed blower with many batteries, both Makita. My wife is going to kill me if I follow these practices again next year but it is looking like 6 weeks of constantly clearing leaves. I've be hauling tarps and bagging and I'm exhausted. This is not fun. And this is just the front yard. Backyard is easier to blow into woods but still another 12ksqft.

Any recommendations? Can I hitch a sweeper to my push mower? Is there a leaf vac I could push like once a week that will shred the leaves so I'm not making a dozen trips to the piles in the back?
Plant Sky Natural environment Natural landscape Twig

Plant Sky Cloud Nature Natural landscape

Registered
Bermuda -16,500sf -Toro Timemaster 30
Your place is beautiful!

I fought the leaves many years at my last house. The lot was fairly small but had several mature trees. The frustration of wondering when the oaks will drop is real馃槣

If I were in your shoes, I would start with adding a gas backpack blower. The difference in power is significant.

There are some push type lawn vacs, but I do not have experience with any. Some are similar to the push type blowers - I have used those, and the power is an whole other level. Search online for lawn vac and check the reviews.

Registered
Cool Season Mix, 24k
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are just too many leaves to mulch them consistently. I will mulch if the cover is light but I'm getting massive coverage every couple days. I picked up a push gas machine but it needs a part. Hoping this rig will at least help me move massive piles deep back into the woods next year. Plenty of neighbors let the leaves sit for longer than I am comfortable wit, although with my geography (downhill and down wind from mass neighborly trees) I get it the worst.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Registered
With as much property you have, a 21" EV literally doesn't look like its cutting it. Something like the 30" Timemaster would help speed the process up and provide power to mulch the leaves properly.

Registered
Human body Handwriting Gesture Sleeve Slope

Hey man. I feel you. I have the exact same size lawn and am surrounded by maple and oak on all 4 sides.

The amount of leaves that I get is staggering and in no way can you mulch those in. I tried ut one year, I had sections of grass just matted down with leaves. Grass died, not possible basically.

Since I have trees on all sides, my aim is to usually push the leaves into the tree line.

First of all get a bigger mower. It will help ALOT. A timemasted with a bag AND a side discharge chute. The second is a walk behind blower (you did already) or a ginormous backpack.

Mostly what I do is follow this pattern and keep side discharging. Start in the middle and keep doing rectangles around the line, discharging to the sides. I know one side will end up near your house or something but keep a tarp there and bring it to the tree line. I start in the middle because I realized at one point its too much for my mower especially if it's wet (which it will be eventually). This is a rough drawing.

If you think you can't mow them because it's too much and need to bag them, blow them out on to a hard surface, driveway, walkway etc. Make some lines, mulch them first and then bag it.

Eventually I would advise you to save up for a much bigger mower with a bagging system. It's worth it.

Hope this helps.

Registered
This year I got a riding mower with a big double bagger. 42" deck. Does a good job of just sucking up the leaves and I dump in the woods, or you can bring to the street. Sometimes you might have to empty often, but still pretty easy work since you are just sitting. Also keep the grass short so leaves just blow off of it.

Registered
I live one town away from you and know your situation well. Back in the days when I did the leaves myself, I had both a push and backpack blower, but even those weren鈥檛 powerful enough to move the leaf piles once they got to a certain size. I now use a landscaper, and he uses 3-4 people working together to get all of the leaves into the woods.

Here鈥榮 a suggestion that you probably won鈥檛 like: wait until Spring to clean up the leaves. Here is my rationale:

- Some oak trees won鈥檛 drop all of their leaves until new growth comes out in the Spring.

- No matter how many times you clean up, the wind will blow more leaves onto your property anyway.

- The leaves will dry out and be much lighter in the Spring, making them easier to blow into the woods..

- A lot of dead branches & other debris will fall on your lawn over the winter anyway, so why not just do one medium-difficulty cleanup rather than several difficult ones?

Registered
If you mow once or twice a week the leaves will just mulch into the grass. Use leaf cover as a guide. I can usually just mow every week this time of year here in Virginia and handle my oak leaves. I have never bagged grass or leaves and am happy with my lawn.

-- Chuck

Registered
Cool Season Mix, 24k
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey man. I feel you. I have the exact same size lawn and am surrounded by maple and oak on all 4 sides.

The amount of leaves that I get is staggering and in no way can you mulch those in. I tried ut one year, I had sections of grass just matted down with leaves. Grass died, not possible basically.

Since I have trees on all sides, my aim is to usually push the leaves into the tree line.

Eventually I would advise you to save up for a much bigger mower with a bagging system. It's worth it.
Thanks @uts . I can definitely implement this strategy in the back yard pretty easily. Front yard is a little trickier but I get the logic behind it. Really want to get a EV ZT with nice bagging system but those are still primo bucks.

Registered
Cool Season Mix, 24k
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I live one town away from you and know your situation well. Back in the days when I did the leaves myself, I had both a push and backpack blower, but even those weren鈥檛 powerful enough to move the leaf piles once they got to a certain size. I now use a landscaper, and he uses 3-4 people working together to get all of the leaves into the woods.

Here鈥榮 a suggestion that you probably won鈥檛 like: wait until Spring to clean up the leaves. Here is my rationale:

- Some oak trees won鈥檛 drop all of their leaves until new growth comes out in the Spring.

- No matter how many times you clean up, the wind will blow more leaves onto your property anyway.

- The leaves will dry out and be much lighter in the Spring, making them easier to blow into the woods..

- A lot of dead branches & other debris will fall on your lawn over the winter anyway, so why not just do one medium-difficulty cleanup rather than several difficult ones?
Big part of the problem is that I overseeded Sept 10th and leaves started falling a month later so I was paranoid about getting enough sunlight for the babies to get them to thicken up. I think part of the reason my front was in such bad shape is the previous owner was probably not so diligent about leaf cleanup or tree pruning.

Registered
Cool Season Mix, 24k
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This year I got a riding mower with a big double bagger. 42" deck. Does a good job of just sucking up the leaves and I dump in the woods, or you can bring to the street. Sometimes you might have to empty often, but still pretty easy work since you are just sitting. Also keep the grass short so leaves just blow off of it.
I think this where I am headed.

Registered
Cool Season Mix, 24k
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With as much property you have, a 21" EV literally doesn't look like its cutting it. Something like the 30" Timemaster would help speed the process up and provide power to mulch the leaves properly.
Hey @macattack . This push blower comes with a 28" deck but it isn't very enjoyable to cut with. I should probably try it with mulching and see how it does. The mechanism to switch the attachments is broken so will need to wait until next year.

Ideally I would get a 42" ZT for time crunch and leaves and then just push when I feel like it.

Premium Member
20k Tif419 Bermuda in Greenville SC.
Thanks @uts . I can definitely implement this strategy in the back yard pretty easily. Front yard is a little trickier but I get the logic behind it. Really want to get a EV ZT with nice bagging system but those are still primo bucks.
I hate to be "that guy" but EV ZTRs are still way too much money IMO. You can buy a gas powered ZTR of the same or better quality, with a bagging system, and still have enough money saved to take the wife out to dinner every week for the next year.

Registered
Cool Season Mix, 24k
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hate to be "that guy" but EV ZTRs are still way too much money IMO. You can buy a gas powered ZTR of the same or better quality, with a bagging system, and still have enough money saved to take the wife out to dinner every week for the next year.
It seems like everything is a ton a money these days! I'm really keen on staying away from gas engines as much as possible going forward. Hopefully prices drop as there is more adoption for residential use-cases. In the meantime I'll be saving while pushing (and complaining)

Premium Member
20k Tif419 Bermuda in Greenville SC.
It seems like everything is a ton a money these days! I'm really keen on staying away from gas engines as much as possible going forward. Hopefully prices drop as there is more adoption for residential use-cases. In the meantime I'll be saving while pushing (and complaining)
If it's for convenience reasons, something like a ZTR/Lawn tractor isn't nearly as troublesome as handheld equipment. For most, I think battery handheld is fine, even if it does come at a bit of a premium over gas equipment. But $5,500 for an EV ZTR vs $3,200 for an equivalent gas unit seems like an eye-watering premium to pay. That said - a shiny new EGo just showed up in my neighborhood, maybe he'll let me try it out. You know, for science!

Registered
Cool Season Mix, 24k
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it's for convenience reasons, something like a ZTR/Lawn tractor isn't nearly as troublesome as handheld equipment. For most, I think battery handheld is fine, even if it does come at a bit of a premium over gas equipment. But $5,500 for an EV ZTR vs $3,200 for an equivalent gas unit seems like an eye-watering premium to pay. That said - a shiny new EGo just showed up in my neighborhood, maybe he'll let me try it out. You know, for science!
I think it is part convenience, part being scarred from inheriting an old SCAG on my old property and all it put me through. I also like the quiet and the feel of electric - crazy I know. I hope your neighbor is willing to lend it out for science! Would love to get your impressions :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts