Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
There are obviously many pros. A few cons or pitfalls could be things like: parts like belts and air filters will be more expensive, lots of seized and rusted bolts and nuts, more space is required to store it, the weight makes it harder to maneuver, parts tend to break more often (belts, groomers, cables), HOC range is smaller, working on them usually takes more time than on a simple rotary, and you have to deal with the indignity of having the best looking grass in the neighborhood.

All that said, the pros outweigh the cons.

·
Registered
87 Posts
OP - when u are ready to buy, check out General Turf equipment, speak to Chris and tell him Phil sent you. He's a good dude and has quality used machines. He refurbs them as needed and offers a 60 day warranty with free shipping. http://www.generalturfequipment.com/

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
dfw_pilot said:
... and you have to deal with the indignity of having the best looking grass in the neighborhood.
Choose wisely about this decision about whether or not you REALLY want the best looking lawn in in town . It can be a real pain I tell you. :thumbup: Believe me... I would know because I own one.

Another thing your going to have to deal with is every passer byer asking you how you made you lawn look like that. That can be frustrating for sure :wink:

But beware.... because like ware said.... Reel mowers can become a "sickness."

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a Jacobsen and have really enjoyed it. The only downfall for mine is the limited HOC. I can go up to ~1.3 and down to .50

JD units seems to have the largest HOC range. It's for that reason I'm in search of 220e, 220SL, 260SL and it will replace my Jake when I get one.

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone, thank you for your insight! TRYING to do this once, not again in a season or three, so quality is must... not looking for a project. I'd like to keep the rotary have only one reel as the wife asks "Why do you have three mowers in the garage".

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
What's your budget for a greens mower tbdh?

Just found this as I remembered about them when I was looking for parts for my JD verticutter. Since you seem to be mainly focused on JD you might want to give these guys a call to see what they can do as they are just down the road in Fuquay-Varina and Myrtle Beach.

Revels Turf & Tractor

·
Registered
475 Posts
This is another good site - dealers, golf courses and private sellers of all types of equipment sell stuff on here www.turfnet.com

Go to the market tab - for sale - there is a table at the bottom right showing mowers and other equipment for sale

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
MrMeaner said:
This is another good site - dealers, golf courses and private sellers of all types of equipment sell stuff on here www.turfnet.com

Go to the market tab - for sale - there is a table at the bottom right showing mowers and other equipment for sale
Great site. Here is a direct link to the walk greensmowers on TurfNet - I keep it bookmarked. :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mightyquinn said:

Just found this as I remembered about them when I was looking for parts for my JD verticutter. Since you seem to be mainly focused on JD you might want to give these guys a call to see what they can do as they are just down the road in Fuquay-Varina and Myrtle Beach.

Revels Turf & Tractor
Thanks everyone for the links! I'd like to keep it in the 2ish or less range. Kinda have my heart set on a machine w/ a integrated groomer, so at that price point could be tough find.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
tbdh20 said:
Mightyquinn said:

Revels Turf & Tractor
Thanks everyone for the links! I'd like to keep it in the 2ish or less range. Kinda have my heart set on a machine w/ a integrated groomer, so at that price point could be tough find.
That's doable. I gave a little over $2k delivered for my JD220E with groomer. It's a 2011 with about 700 hours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.