Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is early, but I am starting to plan for it...

I am thinking of overseeding my Celebration with PRG this year. The lawn is healthy, except for a few thin spots in shade (which I am working on). My lawn was put in 12 months ago.

I have seen a ton of wonderful looking overseed lawns, but I am curious as to the actual difference it makes in spring green up and a healthy stand come summer if done correctly. I understand there are always challenges, but I have heard some horror stories on PRG causing issues. I assume these folks do not spray out the PRG early enough or don't do that at all.

My plan is to scalp and seed PRG at 7 lb/K around early October (Athens, GA) and keep it watered (irrigation). Sometime in late February, I would spray it out with 1-2 apps of MSM and then put down the pre-em in mid-March (pending soil temps).

Should I go for it? I am thinking of at least trying with my 2K front lawn this year as a learning experience.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Go for it! I did it the first time last year. I waited until after The Masters to spray it out (way too late). It took me until mid-July to get back to even with my back yard. But i had a green yard year-round. It took me two rounds of msm turf and the early drought we had to kill all of my ryegrass. I think if you just spray it out before you're really ready to kill it, you'll be happy.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Go for it! I tested it out on my back yard the year before last and wanted to do the front last year but we had a baby at the end of September. I will be doing my front this year as long as I can source some good seed.

Here are my takeaways:
1. Get a good prepped surface. I only scalped mine and the PRG was a lot thinner in the places where the Bermuda was thickest. So this year I will definitely be verticutting as well to really get the canopy opened up.
2. Split the seedings up, I threw down 10 lbs/k all at once, this year I'm going to do two rounds of 6 lbs/k.

3. The PRG was pretty N hungry and I wasn't giving it enough. Will probably do every other week spoon feedings after the initial fert app.

4. I will probably use revolver for spraying out. I did multiple rounds of MSM and still had some left over this year. I think these higher end varieties are more resistant to it.

5. I kept mine until the first of April because we was having our gender reveal and wanted it to look really good. Now I know this goes against what most people do and it could be part of the reason I had trouble getting rid of it, but I will do the same this time. Reason is because it looked it's best there at the end(think Augusta National green) and it transitioned right into Bermuda with no brown in between. Also the Bermuda came in great and didn't have any trouble spots but YMMV.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you want an incredible lawn through the winter, go for it. A couple of things to note: if you have shade, the rye really takes hold in those areas, and even a few applications of MSM might not get it all. Any remaining rye in the spring will hold back bermuda green up and fill-in. After three years of overseeding I'm going to take a year off. Enjoy, it's a fun process.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. We are having a baby end of Oct., so I am likely not going to undertake it this year...

However, I am thinking about trying out the Endurant Turf Paint - https://turfpaint.net/

I am curious if others have used this product. They claim it does not come off on clothes/shoes any more than grass would normally stain clothes.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Phoenix is HOT in the summer time. Yardwork from the end of June, into July, August, Sept, and until almost Halloween isn't my favorite. "Winter" PRG and the late spring transition back to bermuda are the best times to really enjoy our yard here for me.

So, I'm probably still 6 to 8 weeks out before the local temps cooperate enough to let the real fun begin. In spite of that, I'm waiting for this years PRG seed supply to arrive soon so I can snag it early before it has any chance to sell out. I hope to FULLY enjoy a bunch of time outside this fall, "winter" and into all of next year ... this year has been personally brutal for me so far, so I'm looking forward to some great yard time.

·
Registered
California Trimmer 20" 7-Blade
483 Posts
I plan to do this as well. I'm in Texas so, once temps drop enough I'll be doing the same. Purely for the experience. Also, I'd love to see the difference in textures when comparing common Bermuda and PRG at low heights. Also wondering if it gets plenty dark.

·
Registered
Atlanta | CitraBlue St. Augustine
59 Posts
Is PRG as juicy as annual ryegrass? I overseeded with annual ryegrass last year and hated cutting it. It was clumpy, wet, and made a mess.

·
Registered
308 Posts
@DFW245 PRG is a nice dark green. Throw a little iron at it if you want and it usually amps it up a little. Once established and tillers (multiple leaves) are popping from the original blade, I like bringing the height down. I think 1/2" looks great, It stripes great, is soft, and gets dense/thick.

@franktiberi PRG is no where near as juicy as annual. Annual is a soggy nasty nightmare. I have found though, it can be tolerable once established and you can cut the water way back. But even so, PRG for the win.

·
Registered
483 Posts
PhxHeat said:
@DFW245 PRG is a nice dark green. Throw a little iron at it if you want and it usually amps it up a little. Once established and tillers (multiple leaves) are popping from the original blade, I like bringing the height down. I think 1/2" looks great, It stripes great, is soft, and gets dense/thick.

@franktiberi PRG is no where near as juicy as annual. Annual is a soggy nasty nightmare. I have found though, it can be tolerable once established and you can cut the water way back. But even so, PRG for the win.
Interesting. Looks like I'll be putting prg on prg....wait......pGr on the pRg once I get it. lol. I'll have my reel mower by then so I'll really be able to have a beautiful lawn. I plan on putting a high rate of PGR down on the Bermuda before scalping and seeding. So that way it doesn't take over too much of the pRg once it's germinating. Again, my reel mower should help with that. I hope it gets anywhere near as dark as my Monaco Bermuda is. If so I'll be happy. I'm more worried about the texture and the under foot feel compared to improved common Bermuda.

·
Premium Member
Celebration and Common Bermuda 10k Sq. Ft. Cal Trimmer, Ryobi Electric, Rotary Scissors
452 Posts
DFW245 said:
PhxHeat said:

Interesting. Looks like I'll be putting prg on prg....wait......pGr on the pRg once I get it. lol. I'll have my reel mower by then so I'll really be able to have a beautiful lawn. I plan on putting a high rate of PGR down on the Bermuda before scalping and seeding. So that way it doesn't take over too much of the pRg once it's germinating. Again, my reel mower should help with that. I hope it gets anywhere near as dark as my Monaco Bermuda is. If so I'll be happy. I'm more worried about the texture and the under foot feel compared to improved common Bermuda.
The texture is nicer imo. It's very soft. I love walking around barefoot on it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Dono1183 said:
DFW245 said:
PhxHeat said:

The texture is nicer imo. It's very soft. I love walking around barefoot on it.
All I needed to hear.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts