Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was scrolling through instagram and I saw an interesting post from Mountain View seeds. They mention a selective ag herbicide labeled for corn and sod farms. The first picture shows smoked poa next to *** after an application. This post was dated about 2 years ago. I’m curious which product they were referring to.
Plant Plant community Botany Organism Terrestrial plant

Product Font Screenshot Parallel Circle

· Premium Member
7,947 Posts
Good news: Nothing new here. It's a Sulfonylurea herbicide. There are tons of them in this class. (I remember reading it a while back on that same post but on facebook, but forgot the name of the exact one they used.)

Even better news: There is also one in this class registered for turf that kills Triv: Sulfosulfuron. I use it. It works, but no herbicide is 100%, and you need to be careful not to kill good turf with it. Some cultivars of Poa Triv are unfortunately resistant to Sulfosulfuron. I've written about the herbicide before, here: New Sulfosulfuron product - Sertay (Certainty clone) . I can't imagine life without it, though. Very useful tool. You learn how to best utilize the tools you have after using them several times and reading up on it.

Sertay Herbicide: Amazon.com

Manufacturer page: Sertay - Atticus LLC

Should be comparable to the one used in seed production from the original post, as they are the same class.

Edit: the original post from the seed field shows results of Primisulfuron-methyl. I've gotten similar results from Sulfosulfuron to that photo.

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@Green great info, thanks. Some of the herbicide are more effective on poa at the 1-2 tiller stage, but when I look at the above posted picture, the treated poa looks to be very mature, into the 4-5 till stage. Am I looking at this correctly?

· Premium Member
7,947 Posts
@Green great info, thanks. Some of the herbicide are more effective on poa at the 1-2 tiller stage, but when I look at the above posted picture, the treated poa looks to be very mature, into the 4-5 till stage. Am I looking at this correctly?
I've seen Poa Trivialis like that wasn't real old. Some types seem to tiller rapidly but not readily spread. I guess it depends what you mean by mature. No way of telling how long it was there.

My guess is they probably tried to spot spray as best they could. Easier for them with spaced plants than us.

· Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Good news: Nothing new here. It's a Sulfonylurea herbicide. There are tons of them in this class. (I remember reading it a while back on that same post but on facebook, but forgot the name of the exact one they used.)

Even better news: There is also one in this class registered for turf that kills Triv: Sulfosulfuron. I use it. It works, but no herbicide is 100%, and you need to be careful not to kill good turf with it. Some cultivars of Poa Triv are unfortunately resistant to Sulfosulfuron. I've written about the herbicide before, here: New Sulfosulfuron product - Sertay (Certainty clone) . I can't imagine life without it, though. Very useful tool. You learn how to best utilize the tools you have after using them several times and reading up on it.

Sertay Herbicide: Amazon.com

Manufacturer page: Sertay - Atticus LLC

Should be comparable to the one used in seed production from the original post, as they are the same class.

Edit: the original post from the seed field shows results of Primisulfuron-methyl. I've gotten similar results from Sulfosulfuron to that photo.
Seems like another product that we might be playing with fire since it’s for warm season. Have you used this on cool season cultivars? I’m out on this either way, since it kills off TTTF. I’ll just keep hoping that some day POACure will be available for residential use.

· Premium Member
7,947 Posts
Seems like another product that we might be playing with fire since it’s for warm season. Have you used this on cool season cultivars? I’m out on this either way, since it kills off TTTF. I’ll just keep hoping that some day POACure will be available for residential use.
Yes. On areas with TTTF, I limit it to one app, and have very little damage that results in most instances. 2-3 apps will wipe out most TTTF (and FF). Ryegrass is slightly more tolerant than Fescue but less tolerant than most KBG. It seems to take more than 2 apps to really kill it. KBG can get knocked back with 2-3, but eventually recovers for the most part. I blanket spray it in most cases. I use glyphosate for the spot apps. When the Sulfosulfuron works, 1-2 apps yield suppression. 2-3 apps kill desirable or undesirable susceptible Bluegrass and Fescue/Ryegrass cultivars. But I have one lawn area with resistant Triv. 4 apps did not kill it.

For those with a Triv problem, are in a registered state for one of the two Sulfosulfuron products, don't have any contraindicated use situations, are comfortable experimenting with herbicides, and want something more than 50% effective in many cases, I would suggest considering trying it.

This year, I plan to try it in combination with other modes of action that show suppression (like Anuew, Sulfentrazone, and/or Mesotrione).

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Green ill be following your progress this upcoming season vs triv. I’m tempted to try isertay as well. I’m gonna try trimmit this season for suppression and will probably add some selective herbicide. Everything I’ve been reading about the two different type of poa’s , is starting to say that this weed acts more like a perennial instead of an annual.

· Premium Member
7,947 Posts
@Green ill be following your progress this upcoming season vs triv. I’m tempted to try isertay as well. I’m gonna try trimmit this season for suppression and will probably add some selective herbicide. Everything I’ve been reading about the two different type of poa’s , is starting to say that this weed acts more like a perennial instead of an annual.
It's definitely a Perennial. It just tends to go dormant over the Summer.

· Premium Member
862 Posts
One thing many golf course superintendents are finding out is PoaCure is most effective at greens height. Even collars at 0.375” with poa are not nearly as affected by the herbicide. This may make it a poor candidate for residential use.

· Premium Member
7,947 Posts
One thing many golf course superintendents are finding out is PoaCure is most effective at greens height. Even collars at 0.375” with poa are not nearly as affected by the herbicide. This may make it a poor candidate for residential use.
Or maybe just different rates and/or application schedules are needed at different heights of cut. Like with some PGRs. Hope people experiment and can work this out.

That said, do you ever wonder if it will ever make it to residential use, even if shown effective? Sometimes I wonder if they might want to keep it strictly for golf forever.

· Premium Member
862 Posts
Or maybe just different rates and/or application schedules are needed at different heights of cut. Like with some PGRs. Hope people experiment and can work this out.

That said, do you ever wonder if it will ever make it to residential use, even if shown effective? Sometimes I wonder if they might want to keep it strictly for golf forever.
With the challenges they ran into initial registrations with the EPA I’d imagine they want to keep their risk cup fairly empty, meaning sticking to golf for a while.

· Premium Member
7,947 Posts
With the challenges they ran into initial registrations with the EPA I’d imagine they want to keep their risk cup fairly empty, meaning sticking to golf for a while.
Hmm. Ok. I'm thinking 5-10 years for residential, if ever.

Have you heard anything good about Anuew as an adjunct in Poa Trivialis control beyond the YouTube videos and manufacturer statement (e.g. studies)? I'm planning to try it partly for that purpose, but I tend to use PGRs at low rates, so I will consider spot spraying bad areas where I can't afford to use glyphosate with it as an experiment. As mentioned, I have some Triv that is clearly Sulfosulfuron-resistant. (It seems to kill the coarse-bladed types most readily.)

· Premium Member
7,947 Posts
I had good luck suppressing poa triv with aneuw growth regulator in tall fescue. Interested to see what happens with it this year.
Do you think it killed any of it?
Will be interesting to see how much comes back, and if it's less or more than you had last year.

· Registered
44 Posts
Do you think it killed any of it?
Will be interesting to see how much comes back, and if it's less or more than you had last year.
Me too. I only had to apply I once in like April. I’m in. North Carolina and it will go dormant with the heat of summer. So makes it tough to kill prior to seeding when you might run glyphosate.

I haven’t noticed it sticking out this fall.

· Premium Member
7,947 Posts
Me too. I only had to apply I once in like April. I’m in. North Carolina and it will go dormant with the heat of summer. So makes it tough to kill prior to seeding when you might run glyphosate.

I haven’t noticed it sticking out this fall.
Would be interesting to see, but that's a good sign. If it doesn't show up in as large amounts again by April, it probably killed a good amount. But you'll probably have a decent idea in the next few weeks. Do you have a journal on here?

· Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Aneuw beats up Poa annua but not Poa triv in my experience. The rates for cool season growth regulation is typically higher than what annua can handle m, which stunts it significantly, keeps it from dropping seed and it eventually retreats below the canopy of the existing turf.

With triv, it slows the spreading down until you skip or are late with an app, then it just explodes again.

Glyphosate is the only solution for triv and even then it’s not the silver bullet. Connor Ward did the most meticulous kill on his existing turf for a full blown reno. Sprayed glyphosate a million times and even burned the entire area before seeding. The man did everything besides drop a bomb on his lawn, yet the crap reared its ugly head. Talk about DEFLATING

1 - 20 of 20 Posts