Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe it is poa t/rough stalk kbg, but could be wrong.

If it is, I know own they say round up and reseed, that's fine. My question is, must I do it now to save spreading or is the fall OK. By the time I figured it out, it seems too late before the summer heat.

https://imgur.com/a/neBqZ

·
Registered
376 Posts
impossible to say for sure but that has all the hallmarks of Triv. And that's quite a bit of it. If you do round it up, you're going to have some pretty massive dead patches. What would you do with them until late summer is the question? With the heat wave coming through over the weekend it should start frying and heading into dormancy.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
That looks like like fine fescue to me. Fine fescue has thin blades almost like hair. In the pictures of it in the lawn it looks hairy.

See pictures here

I'm definitely no grass identifying expert. I'm quite the novice actually so don't take my word for it.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, that's why I am here too. The only ly reason I went the poa t route was because it growing taller than the rest of the grass and aside from the one really big section I have of it, the rest is growing in circular patches similar to what poa t is known for.

But ultimately I have no clue. If needed I will dig out a large section the next time I go to my local fertilizer store.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it is going to be dormant, what is better, brown dormant (bad) grass or completely dead bare spots in the back yard?

Point being, if I plan for an early August domination for September seeding, the dormant patches do me slightly more good than mud holes for the summer. Or, is the issue that it will not be out of dormancy in time, meaning I am looking more at the spring time again when it "brightens up" again

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The issue is Triv can be hard to kill, even using round up. So it's best to start ASAP. Now you could just leave it and dig it up and then seed when ready. But if you want to go the spray route do it before it's dormant.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crap, my would kill me if I made a bunch of mud holes. This issue isn't just the one big area, it's all the little ones to go with it...

I could seed into the heat, take what I get and over seed in the fall again. Or deal with it in the fall and spring.

2 excellent options. The later getting less flack and more WAF

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GrassDaddy said:
Yeah so leave it and in the fall if its dormant dig it out and seed. I hear ya we have to sometimes choose the less optimal paths to deal with wives =

why do you think my backyard is half weeds??? Lol
It makes way more sense now. Just figured it was a thing to pay more attention to the Front

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.