Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone elsewhere online was considering nuking their lawn after trying to aggressively kill poa annua in the fall. After seeing their photo it was clear they almost killed off their KBG!

Going by color is helpful but the seed heads are the giveaway. Even KBG can be light green, especially when new.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Speaking of seedheads, I am happy to report that a mix of T-Nex 1AQ @ 0.35oz/K + Florel @1.5oz/K every 2 weeks successfully suppresses 90% of them in KBG. The mix does cause temporary yellowing.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
GrassDaddy said:
Temporary yellowing as in a day? Week? The whole time its suppressing?
For me the "yellowing" lasts about 3 days after spraying. It doesn't actually turn yellow, but it does turn a lighter color of green. I use FAS in the mix, I don't know if that helps or not since I haven't sprayed it without the FAS to be able to compare.

·
Super Moderator
2,338 Posts
Any advice on what we can use to knock out poa A and T? I have plenty of poa A in last year reno that I need to tackle. Tenacity? Certainty?

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
GrassDaddy said:
Tenacity for poa a, roundup for poa t
You think this will work? What's the formula and regimen? I'm pretty sure I've got round sections of this garbage in my kbg lawn. About a 12 inch round sections. Clearly a lighter green color and weedy woody like stems. It looks weird and bad with my low cut lawn. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. Also compared it to a bunch of pictures that someone here gave me. Might have been Eric.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ok, is this KBG that is growing in my mulch bed? Albeit, slightly damaged?

Guessing it is just stray seed from my reno last year.

If it is KBG, I have plugs of it throughout all of my mulch beds that I'd love to try to transport to dead spots from me killing off quack.

From the boat shaped leaves to the bunched, vertical growing seed heads, I think it's KBG and not poa annua... but I want to be sure this is my bewitched KBG before I try to gather a bunch of it up and transport it to the lawn :)

Also, the leaf width is a bit wider than some other spots in the lawn, so that has me a bit unsure.

·
Super Moderator
Northern Mix (12k)
6,171 Posts
@GrassDaddy Thanks for posting this. I was just looking through last years renovation finding and pulling what I thought was poa annua. I'll be looking more closely now.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thank you for posting this from me too! My yard is a mass of seed heads but it looks to be mostly KBG. I was about to post the question of whether or not KBG seeds in a fashion similar to Poa annua. I am very relieved that I won't have to kill the whole thing.

A question too. Have any forum members used weed burners to sterilize areas of undesirable selective resistant weeds.
I am about to try.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Weed burner to sterilize the area? I think you would have to get the dirt above 180° or something to kill any seeds. How do you do that without building a bonfire in that spot? Cook it with the torch for a while? I though weed burners were used to destroy top growth and then the weed comes right back since the roots are still there.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Another question is; if we have determined that the seedheads are Poa pratensis rather than annua should I be letting them grow till they drop to reseed the lawn? I do intend to reseed with TTTF but the KBG seems to be doing well so far and has a ton of seedheads. I'll use Tenacity and Tupersan (which I was going to do anyway) and maybe they'll grow.
Anybody have any thoughts on that? I have no idea what variety is involved.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.