Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 570 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The warm season folks have their thread, so should we start one for us cool seasoners?

FAQs

Q: When should I start applying PGR?
A: The general consensus is to start applying PGR after your 2nd mow of the season.

Q: Does the above apply if I recently renovated?
A: Yep!

Q: How often should I reapply my PGR?
A: A lot of folks use the GreenKeeer App to help them estimate when your PGR needs to be reapplied. The GreenKeeper App takes your location, grass type, application rate and climate/weather into account to make it's recommendations. If you don't want to use the GreenKeeper App, every 3 weeks is the suggested re-application cadence.

Q: How much PGR should I apply?
A: It is recommended that you start low and work your way up. For example, using a PGR with Trinexapac-ethyl 11.3% as the AI, start with 0.3 to 0.4 oz / M (1,000 SF). If that gives you the regulation you desire, stay there. If not, increase it slightly on the next application.

Q: Are there any risks associated with applying a PGR?
A: You betcha! For starters, if you apply too much your yard will look FUGLY until it wears off, and you might experience some die-off. Additionally, if your lawn has some sort of disease/fungus the PGR can prevent the disease from growing out as quickly as it would if it weren't under regulation.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll start with a q:

I'm planning to do my next PGR+ FAS this Thursday. Forecasted temps are in the upper 80s to perhaps 90. I think PGR is safe to apply at these temps (nothing is mentioned on the label), so my question is, what about FAS? Posts on other sites say to avoid FAS above 85. But why? Higher risk of burning?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Now that I've been using it for 2 years, PGR is one of the things I wouldn't do lawn care without. I apply 0.35oz/K trinexapac every 2 weeks, and the benefits I've noticed are:
- Slows down growth and reduces the amount of mowing needed. When I do mow, there's far less clippings.
- Increases density,
- Significantly enhances color.
- Reduces seed heads
- Increases root mass
- Does wonders for me as far as drought resistance through the summer.

It's a jug of magic :D

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
chrismar said:
I'll start with a q:

I'm planning to do my next PGR+ FAS this Thursday. Forecasted temps are in the upper 80s to perhaps 90. I think PGR is safe to apply at these temps (nothing is mentioned on the label), so my question is, what about FAS? Posts on other sites say to avoid FAS above 85. But why? Higher risk of burning?
Yes, it can burn the grass. Having said that, you can spray it in the evening and do a quick rinse-off the following morning.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm trying to find my magic. I applied .60 oz/K three weeks ago and my KBGs growth was barely regulated. I'm going to try .75 oz/K this week. I'm hoping to finally see a measurable impact.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
chrismar said:
I'm trying to find my magic. I applied .60 oz/K three weeks ago and my KBGs growth was barely regulated. I'm going to try .75 oz/K this week. I'm hoping to finally see a measurable impact.
Are you applying with a surfactant? I find that makes a big difference.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
chrismar said:
...I'm planning to do my next PGR+ FAS this Thursday.....
What is your FAS source and what are you using? Are you using MQ's formula? I want to start spraying iron but need more info for cool season turf. MQ said to use his formula at half strength. Anyone have experience with this?

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
wardconnor said:
chrismar said:
...I'm planning to do my next PGR+ FAS this Thursday.....
What is your FAS source and what are you using? Are you using MQ's formula? I want to start spraying iron but need more info for cool season turf. MQ said to use his formula at half strength. Anyone have experience with this?
I recommend starting at half rate for Rye and TTTF as I don't know how sensitive they are. I would start there and work your way up to full strength.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wardconnor said:
I'm using powder/granular ferrous sulfate and ammonium sulfate obtained from ebay & amazon (respectively). I do 4 oz / K of ferrous sulfate and 3.4 oz / K of ammonium sulfate. This is the rate for KBG, I believe TTTF and mixes should use a lower rate.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Having done full strength applications last year, I actually recommend doing half rate apps every two weeks. With full apps you typically get about 3 weeks and then you have to spray again because it rebounds, whereas with half rate every 2 weeks you get 4 weeks of coverage on the same amount of PGR, so 30% more. The other advantage is if you overspray a spot at half rate, it's basically full rate, whereas if you over spray a spot at full rate it's double rate. The disadvantage is clear - for a 20 week growing season you're doing 10 rounds of spraying instead of 6-7 at full rate.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
j4c11 said:
Having done full strength applications last year, I actually recommend doing half rate apps every two weeks. With full apps you typically get about 3 weeks and then you have to spray again because it rebounds, whereas with half rate every 2 weeks you get 4 weeks of coverage on the same amount of PGR, so 30% more. The other advantage is if you overspray a spot at half rate, it's basically full rate, whereas if you over spray a spot at full rate it's double rate. The disadvantage is clear - for a 20 week growing season you're doing 10 rounds of spraying instead of 6-7 at full rate.
It's difficult enough as it is for me to get the 6-7 sprays in. Adding another 3-4 sprays increases the likelihood it won't get done.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I'm on T-Pac E-Pro MEC (Trinexapac-ethyl 11.3%).

Rates I'm using:
KBG - .6 oz/k
TTTF+KBG - .75 oz/k

I'm on a 3 week interval schedule and can definitely tell that it is working.

I'm debating on doing 1/2 rates going into Summer.

·
Super Moderator
Bewitched KBG (38k sqft)
2,328 Posts
What does anyone think about using Primo when establishing new grass? I'm planning to put down an app, if needed, on the reno to keep top growth under control so i can keep it mowed short. Would probably try an app after any bleaching from the tenacity post-m app wore off. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
Bewitched KBG (38k sqft)
2,328 Posts
j4c11 said:
I started with PGR about 60 days into my spring reno. So far so good.

Edit: I also spray fungicide with it. Young grass, fungus and PGR don't mix well.
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 570 Posts