Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
We have a little bit of a zoo at our house...

This is Jack, he's a Netherland dwarf rescue. He's going to be 11 this November! That's old. I adopted him because I couldn't have dogs in my then-apartment complex (rabbits weren't allowed either but rabbits are quiet and easy to hide). He free-roamed the apartment all day. He would wait outside my bedroom door for me to wake up every morning and when I was working on the computer and wanted attention he would boop my ankle. He doesn't free-roam anymore, mostly because he's just getting old and isn't very good about making it to his litter box anymore and doesn't really care to explore. He was technically supposed to by my then-girlfriend's pet, but he bonded more with me and when we broke up I got to keep him.

This is Amber. I rescued her two years ago next week. She was found roaming the streets of Kansas City as a stray. They think she got hit by a car because it was incredibly difficult for them to catch her and get her in a car to go to the shelter. I drove down to the shelter to look at a few dogs, and Amber was at the bottom of my list. But we bonded pretty quickly and I ended up bringing her back to Des Moines with me. Her DNA test came back 25% Chesapeake Bay retriever, 25%, Akita, 25% lab, and 25% mutt. She has to be an accident because no one in their right mind would cross two of the most headstrong breeds...

This is King, my girlfriend's cat. Literally no contractor that has been in the house has failed to comment about how fat he is. He likes to go outside but is otherwise a really lazy, snuggly slouch. He slept on my belly all night the first time I met him.

This is Wednesday, she's a little shit, and "my girlfriend's dog." We adopted her last Christmas Eve. DNA results came back as 50% boxer, then equal amounts of Siberian husky, Australian cattle dog, border collie, and mutt. Her favorite activities include snuggling, stealing food off my plate, digging, barking, jumping, chewing on drywall, and generally destroying things. I still love her though.

And we also have Lucy, my girlfriend's mouse, which I don't have any pictures for because she stinks up the basement so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
My wife and I have a standard size Yorkshire Terrier and a Bengal cat. The dog is hers, the cat is mine. Her dog spends all his time with me, my cat spend all his time with her. Go figure.

I don't have any pictures at the ready, but I thought I'd post something that may make a difference in the lives of all TLF pet dogs, and their owners. Since about 4 years ago I've been cooking food for the dog about once a month, and he has not eaten a grain of commercial dog food since. It also saves me a lot of money over store bough, while being far superior in nutritional value.

You need :
- A 10lb bag of chicken thighs from Walmart($6-$7)
- A 1 lb bag of rice($1)
- Optional : 2 trays of chicken gizzards ($3)

Place all the thighs in a large pot and cover with water to make a soup. Boil until meat easily comes off the bone(2-3 hours). Remove from soup and pull meat off bones. Roughly chop the meat(and gizzards if using) and put back into soup. Throw away the bones(WARNING: do not feed cooked chicken bones to dogs - they splinter and can choke them. Raw chicken bones are ok). Add rice and anything else you want to add to the food: sweet potato, peas, corn etc. Boil until rice is cooked, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the meat is evenly distributed and not all the bottom.

The end result is about 20 lbs of highly nutritious, meat rich dog food for about $10. It smells so good you want to dig in - and you most definitely could. Once cooled, it can be packaged either in ziplocks or rolled in saran wrap, then frozen. Good food can make a big difference in the life of your dog.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So these are my 2.

Chloe - shes 10 going on 11, shes been a great cat (I'm not a cat person).She thinks she the queen. Plus she eats all the rodents that try to destroy my yard.

Jax - he's 4, to smart for his own good. Loves to lay on the short grass and eat golf balls.

JB

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Lost one yesterday. Giles, he was a rescued Min Pin. We loved him for 12+ years, our Vet estimated him to be around 15 years old.

Giles wasn't a good dog. He was always getting into something, running away, barking at 1am, eating Halloween candy or defecating the the floor. So many things pissed me off about him, but telling those stories now just makes me laugh.

We knew this would happen soon, but it was harder than we expected. I'm glad he isn't in pain anymore.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
Sorry for your loss Red but I think hearing what you said makes us appreciate our furry little friends even more.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts