Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you, on October 10 I put tall fescue seed and it germinated very little, now I would like some tips on what I can do in spring to have a beautiful grass, it's already frozen here in Oklahoma and I don't think it will germinate anymore
Sky Plant Land lot Slope Grass

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you have extra money you're wanting to blow or just a very large budget, go ahead and go with the above recommendations.

But if you aren't trying to just throw money at it... I would not worry about doing much else this year and I also wouldn't overseed in the spring if you don't have in ground irrigation, or a very planned and practiced above ground irrigation setup. Anything that germinates in the spring will need a lot of extra water and care to survive the summer. I'd spend your spring taking care of any weeds, get a pre-emergent down, and get some simple fertilizer and give your yard some small feedings over the spring. Then prepare for next fall, when you can plan out and start your overseed much much earlier in the year.

·
Registered
8K Northern Mix (mostly KBG) -- Mountain Top, PA
534 Posts
Listen to fraust, Oct 10 was too late. Spring overseeds are doable but very difficult without irrigation. I do not know your local climate but i bet it is hotter and dryer than Ryan Knorr's.

One addition: Soil test: Have you ever done one? Fix PH, mind your NPK and it will grow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Listen to fraust, Oct 10 was too late. Spring overseeds are doable but very difficult without irrigation. I do not know your local climate but i bet it is hotter and dryer than Ryan Knorr's.

One addition: Soil test: Have you ever done one? Fix PH, mind your NPK and it will grow.
What's up, if that's what I thought it was too late, I tried to put seed in some places but failed, no grass came out
I want to try before spring but I would like some tips such as what to use, in fall use tenacity and fertilizer for new grass, and I do have an irrigation system so water should not be a problem

·
Registered
8K Northern Mix (mostly KBG) -- Mountain Top, PA
534 Posts
Before spring?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before spring?

10 days before spring,

·
Registered
225 Posts
I do not know your local climate but i bet it is hotter and dryer than Ryan Knorr's.
Just watch the videos for the content. Not saying OP should pursue a spring overseed.

OP, watch the videos, watch some others from Pete at GCI Turf and Connor Ward, read the various cool season guides on this forum, etc. It's mid November. Do nothing. Just absorb some knowledge over the winter and then formulate a plan for next year. Understand the challenges of doing a spring overseed versus in the fall, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Soil temperatures are the key. Here in Richmond I've been overseeding with RTF the last week in September and not mowing for about 3 weeks. Keep irrigation running. Little baby grass came up nicely again this year especially noticeable in the areas I'd killed weeds in a month before overseeding. Patience is a rare trait. I took over a neglected lawn 5 years ago and almost pulled the trigger on sod. Glad I didn't but it's taken five (5) overseeds, the last 3 or 4 with RTF. TTTF doesn't spread like the KBG I always had further north. RTF is working so well I have to periodically dig out my sprinkler heads as the grass grows over them.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is Fescue commonly used as a turf grass in your area? I don't know Oklahoma well, but I would have thought it too hot in the summers for fescue lawns, except in the shade. A better choice might be Bermuda or Buffalograss. But if fescue does grow well in your area, then you will need to do a bit of overseeding at least once a year, every year. - Next spring, if I were you, I would overseed. - Before, overseeding: (1) Scarify the lawn thoroughly (2) Rake up all of the debris from that and remove it (3) Broadcast your seed using a seed/fertilizer spreader. (4) Apply Scotts Triple Action Built for Seeding fertilizer (5) Keep the seed moist/damp with irrigation by watering multiple times a day for short periods. Do that for about two weeks until you have good germination. Then you can reduce the frequency and up the watering period to a more normal schedule. Scotts Turf Builder Pre Emergent Preventer & Fertilizer Lawn Fertilizer For All Grasses 4000 sq ft - Ace Hardware
https://www.amazon.com/Greenworks-14-Inch-Dethatcher-Scarifier-DT13B00/dp/B09FYVJL56
https://www.amazon.com/Scotts-71131-Wizz-Hand-Held-Spreader/dp/B011HY5Q1K?th=1

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tried to get some seed going in the spring this year and it was a failure. Germinated and started growing but the summer temps were just too much. And I watered the shit out of it. It just couldn’t make it.

Just wait until the spring and lay a little compost done, throw down tttf and kbg mix, press the seed in ( I use a large, thin board ), Cover it with peat moss. I find a peat moss spreader to be well worth the investment. Then make sure you keep it moist. Water early for 10 minutes then again in the early afternoon and late afternoon and early evening. Just don’t let it dry out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tried to get some seed going in the spring this year and it was a failure. Germinated and started growing but the summer temps were just too much. And I watered the shit out of it. It just couldn’t make it.

Just wait until the spring and lay a little compost done, throw down tttf and kbg mix, press the seed in ( I use a large, thin board ), Cover it with peat moss. I find a peat moss spreader to be well worth the investment. Then make sure you keep it moist. Water early for 10 minutes then again in the early afternoon and late afternoon and early evening. Just don’t let it dry out.
what's up friend, that's what I'm going to do, thank you very much, but one question, it's already half cold here and I don't know whether to continue watering or not,
This is my second time trying, I am a beginner and I have spent a lot of money but I am learning, I would appreciate any tip you could give me, thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
I’m new as well but was successful with my “overseed” last year. And I put that in quotes because in reality I killed off a bunch of the grass from excessive dethatching and scalping so it was almost a renovation.

If It were me I’d water on days in the 50s and above if the soil is dry. Other than that, just wait until next fall.

One thing I’ve definitely learned is that this is about the long game. Patience is key.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Also I would recommend reading through posts in the forum. You can learn a lot just from reading other peoples posts. Espically the cool season lawn guide.

What city in OK are you in? You may be able to do a warm season grass.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also I would recommend reading through posts in the forum. You can learn a lot just from reading other peoples posts. Espically the cool season lawn guide.

What city in OK are you in? You may be able to do a warm season grass.
good morning, i live in guymon ok, so i won't put seed this spring?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts