Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 50/50 blue/rye mix. It is a decent lawn, but the last 3 years (about) I have been dealing with terrible poa. This year was actually my best year. The last 2 falls, I would apply lesco dimension with fert in the fall with hopes to beat it. This year I already bought a bought a bottle of prodiamine to up the fight.

However, I have also heard that you can overseed in the fall to beat the poa. Obviously these 2 cannot be done together, so if the plan was a fall overseed with say KBG only, what must be done?

Do I have to cut super low? Or is it enough to aerate and just seed into that? Or is overseeding the wrong strategy altogether and just stick to the pre-emergent. If the poa is already less, keep doing it till it finally is gone? The thought being that while the 50/50 is fine, I also would not mind a thicker lawn that is more kbg than rye...or is that what I end up with anyway as the kbg is supposed to outcompete the rye?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
It is hard to overseed KBG into any kind of lawn because KBG takes so long to germinate (2-3 weeks or more). If you already have KBG in your lawn it is generally unnecessary to overseed because KBG spreads. Prodiamine in early fall will help prevent poa germination. Repeat it when the fall application wears off.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
When the weather is cool mowing at 2in really gets the KBG to spread. Now at 3.5 it is very slow. I dont have a link but research showed that at 2 it spreads the fastest.

There is a hormone or something in the blade tips which slows it down. When you cut it shorter it stops that from happening.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm, what do we consider cool weather? just as a reference point. below 60? so April, October November?

A few years back I had a bout of nimblewill and now poa and with it everything I saw said go as long as possible to choke them back. so I went 3.5" (the highest my mower will go) and I only cut it shorter like the last cut of the year, maybe 2 and the first 1 or 2 this year.

thinking being that poa will take over if I am that short, so I got as long as possible early and as late as I could.

Not to mention the work it takes to get from 3.5" to 2". Down that low things get thick and it is a lot of emptying the bag on 13k grass. Doubles and triples the mow time as things bog down. But hey, if that is the answer, then it needs to be done...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.