Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
It happens. Any idea what your grass type is? Most warm season grasses will heal themselves with time. If you have a sodded lawn, I would generically advise against reseeding. There are exceptions, but seeded varieties are typically not of the same quality as varieties that are propagated via sod or plugs..

Welcome to TLF! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ware said:
It happens. Any idea what your grass type is? Most warm season grasses will heal themselves with time. If you have a sodded lawn, I would generically advise against reseeding. There are exceptions, but seeded varieties are typically not of the same quality as varieties that are propagated via sod or plugs..

Thank you!! I'm not able to identify it, but I'll post a picture of the grass and the mess I made. It's got thin blades and seems a little fragile. I'm in northern CA, just slightly inland, for whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spammage said:
Kind of depends on the product applied as Roundup offers some as just a weed/grass killer and some with residual effects to prevent new vegetation.
I really have no idea. It was old and in a Hudson sprayer. No label...

I tested it first on a bit of lawn that didn't matter but it had no effect until about a week-10 days later. So I figured it was safe for lawn on about day 6. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Don't feel bad. We have all done it (I have), or know someone that has! Unfortunately, it's a hard lesson learned.

Make sure to get some close up pictures of the good grass so we can identify it properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ware said:

Well here's one pic. I couldn't get any more to upload. And idea what it is and if it will come back by chance?

·
Registered
250 Posts
My wife sprayed a couple of areas in our backyard with Round Up while I was out of town. It is slooowwwllyyy creeping back and I am hand watering nearly every morning. I have Bermuda.

I'm still developing my green thumb, but that looks like Zoysia as it is typically found in California but I could be wrong on that. Someone else will give you a hand on what to do.

Welcome to TLF! You're in a great place!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Do you have a wider view? To see the size of the damaged areas?

If they're brown and crispy there's not much you can do. Rake up the dead grass, try to keep it weed-free and then overseed starting around mid-August.

One final question: what kind of roundup was used? Check to make sure it wasn't the extended control version. If so overseeding in the fall probably won't work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.