Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
ahartzell said:
Is buying a mower with onboard backlapping worth it? I assume you can just throw some compound on, hit a button, and it will do the work?
My 220E has it, but I haven't used it yet. It will be convenient. You basically just flip a switch, start the engine, and engage the reel. It spins backwards at the recommended RPM. Definitely a plus, but not sure if I would limit my search to only mowers that have that feature. It is a bigger benefit to a golf course that has a fleet of mowers that need frequent ************.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
You'll still need to make adjustment to the reel/bedknife clearance, but it's handy. I wouldn't buy a mow just for that feature, I normally backlap 2 times a year.

I think SG311 has never blacklapped, and it's still cutting nicely!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I'm just a simpleton when it comes to backlapping. I think it's easy enough for you to be able to do without needing to outsource it.

After I lean the GM1000 up and back, I stick the drill and the attachment into the socket on the mower's right side.

Then I just paint the lapping compound onto the spinning reel with a paint brush. I use a battery operated DeWalt drill, and it just so happens to fit between the ground and the socket height on the mower. It's easy enough to run the drill with my left hand and paint with my right hand. I'm on a trip or I'd show some pictures. I hope this helps!

For compound, I use some extra that a buddy sent me from his batch from R&R. 120 grit then 180 grit.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Ware said:
wardconnor said:
I usually have mine ground by a guy. Would like to learn to backlap.
Does he spin-only or spin-relief grind? I don't think backlapping works as well/is advised on a spin-only reel grind.
Not sure. I don't actually know his name after 2 years knowing him as you can see below. I'm bad I know.
This is what he said

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
I prefer a relief grind and I believe that Baroness even recommends it when grinding the reel.

·
Registered
151 Posts
ahartzell said:
Is buying a mower with onboard backlapping worth it?
Now having done both types, Mclane without and JD with, it's a lot easier to have it on there. Not a necessity by any means but so much quicker. Would I buy a mower strictly due to the fact it has it, not by any means, but if you can get one with it and it suits your needs you won't be disappointed.

I assume you can just throw some compound on, hit a button, and it will do the work?
Yep! Mine (and Ware's) you fire it up, hit the reverse reel switch and put the parking brake on to start the magic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.