Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if it's the right time of year to aerate. I was going to wait until the fall but I've read spring and/or fall. After edging I got a good profile view of turf. Looks like I could definitely cut shorter before scalping. Turf is THICK but not sure how to tell if I actually need to aerate.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
Fall is actually the worse time to aerate as you will want to have time for the grass to recover before going dormant for the Winter. Anytime between now and August would be fine. Are you planning on topdressing after aerating or just dragging the cores back into the holes?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mightyquinn said:
Fall is actually the worse time to aerate as you will want to have time for the grass to recover before going dormant for the Winter. Anytime between now and August would be fine. Are you planning on topdressing after aerating or just dragging the cores back into the holes?
My grass would DEFINITELY recover if done now. I'm able to mow daily (PGR coming). I'm getting a greens mower soon so my plan is mow at like 3/4", aerate, and top dress/level. But may end up just aerating if nothing else.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
You will want to add something to the holes that you make as the lawn will recover faster. I made that mistake a few years ago and didn't fill the holes in and it took over a month for the holes to disappear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.