Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to all this.
I overseeded my yard late May. I know it's not the ideal time, but I have big bare spots, the weather was unseasonably cool and wet, and I just wanted to give it a try.
Remembering that I had a bad crabgrass problem last year that I did nothing about, I applied Tenacity a week later. A lot of baby grass and other weeds came up.
Now I have a bunch of crabgrass, chickweed, dandelion, and some other stuff that have come up. Some of the crabgrass turned white, but there is more (and even new) growth.
It's been about 2 weeks now, so I'm ready to do another application of Tenacity. Last time (two weeks ago) I sprayed the entire yard, believing that Tenacity would take care of most weeds. I have read that it works best with multiple applications, so do I just need to give it more time to see results?

Or should I stop everything and follow the triangle approach, that is to try a simpler and cheaper WeedBeGone first?

·
Registered
376 Posts
My advice for the chickweed is to get a cheap bottle of CCO (Chickweed, Clover & Oxalis killer concentrate), chemical name: 'Triclopyr'. That stuff annihilates chickweed quickly. Despite the CCO name, it also takes out many other weeds. Tenacity is not as good on chickweed, but great for young crabgrass and pretty much everything else (except spurge).

·
Registered
882 Posts
Definitely start with the triangle. WBG and WBG CCO are far cheaper than Tenacity and they'll likely knock out 95% of the weeds. If you're just spot spraying I wouldn't even care about if the baby grass can handle it. For a broadcast spray you may want to consider it's hardiness, as wardconnor mentioned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, guess I'll "start over" and pick up a bottle of something else.
I'll use the tenacity again either later on in the triangle for spot spraying, and definitely at time of overseeding in the fall.
Can I combine ingredients at same time? That is WBG CCO and something else that has quinclorac for the crabgrass?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.