Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, im looking for a little help. As of right now its june 24th upstate new york heavy clay soil definitely compacted. My lawn is descently green a little brown given the insane temperature this last week and lack of rain, but i seem to be getting more and more broad leaf weeds especially the thorny looking ones. As of right now my only maintenance has been mowing, but id like to start to enter somewhat of a teir 2 lawn. Id like to cut down on the weeds get greener etc... but at this time of the year not sure where I should start. My lawn is approx 47,000 sq ft and at this point I dont think I have the time to do a reno but I definitely have the time and resources to rehab. So basically just wondering where I should start given the time of year, should I be planning on doing the fall nitro blitz etc... its dark as of now Ill get some pics tomorrow and upload.
Thanks!

· Administrator
5.6ksqft Bewitched KBG in Fishers, IN
15,451 Posts
Welcome to TLF.

Two main things you have to plan/decide. 1) do you want to irrigate this large area? (Well?) And 2) do have a way to apply liquid products to the area? Cost will be higher for granulate vs. liquid.

We are approaching the thick of summer and we switch to cruise control and survival. Applying broadcast products to kill the weeds could cause damage to your lawn. It is possible to do, but you have to understand the risks. It is ok to spot spray with Weed b Gon 3way type product, if you follow the temp limitations of the product you use.

One thing you could do, a soil test to see if there is something to address. A lot of us have used waypoint analytical TN with success ($16.50).

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There eventually will be irrigation but I assume not within the next year there is a good portion of the lawn that needs to be regraded and will have a bulldozer taken to it. So for the time being spot spray weeds. I dont have a way to apply liquid products but shouldnt be an issue for me to get the equipment that does. Should I plan on plug aeration at the end of summer? (august september?) should I plan on doing a fall nitro blitz? before or after core aeration im assuming my lawn is lacking nitro considering its clay and hasnt seen any added nutrients in over 15 years but I will get a soil test done. If i get core areation done should I leave the plugs or pick em up?

· Registered
89 Posts
Greetings from the bottom side of NY. For now, I'd go with dimension at the knockdown rate and a big killer if you feel necessary. Then spot treat any broadleaf weeds over the summer (when it's below 90). A good aerate and overseed and a few doses of fall nitrogen (3 x 1 lb per thousand?) should set you up nice to get on a program next year. I've never done it, but maybe some alfalfa during the summer will build the organic matter and feed very little too. And don't forget to mow high.

Another consideration is altering the amount of lawn you maintain vs more natural.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.