Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a new house with new Bermuda sod already laid 3 months ago. If I want to replace with Zoysia instead, will it be an uphill battle keeping the Bermuda from coming back? The neighbors on both sides also have Bermuda. I've been told that Bermuda is the most aggressive so may choke out the Zoysia from getting established?

· Registered
Atlanta | CitraBlue St. Augustine
68 Posts
You'll probably be okay if you spray all of the Bermuda with glyphosate two or more times, especially with it that young. As for the borders with your neighbors, a new product called Recognition is coming out this year that will allow you to kill Bermuda in Zoysia without damage to the Zoysia.

Why do you want to replace the Bermuda with Zoysia?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll probably be okay if you spray all of the Bermuda with glyphosate two or more times, especially with it that young. As for the borders with your neighbors, a new product called Recognition is coming out this year that will allow you to kill Bermuda in Zoysia without damage to the Zoysia.

Why do you want to replace the Bermuda with Zoysia?
Zoysia is darker green and keeps it's color for longer during the year (in the Charlotte NC area), plus it also does better in areas with some shade. I'm going from a Tall Fescue yard at previous house to this and zoysia most closely resembles Tall Fescue with less maintenance.

· Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Do you not like Bermuda?

Nevermind... I saw your post. I am in Fayetteville NC, and have Bermuda and Empire Zoysia, in my yard, they go dormant very close to the same time. The Zoysia did stay green for about 10 days longer before turning brown.
Zoysia does not require as much maintenance as Bermuda but it's sure easier to accidentally kill.... :LOL:

A few years ago while I was gone...
My Wife sprayed glyphosate all over the yard in May to kill some weeds in my Bermuda a few years ago and by July it was fully recovered, if she would have done that to the Zoysia it would have probably been filled by Bermuda before the Zoysia filled back in. :):):) Even my wife cannot kill Bermuda...

· Registered
7 Posts
Thumbs up to your choice of zoysia. I have Zorro Zoysia after many years of bermuda, GN, 419, Celebration, etc. In addition to the merits you mentioned you’ll find Zorro has a finer blade. Very soft and fortunately for you there is a farm down the road near Rock Hill. If you’re going with zoysia you may as well go with their best variety. Check it out. Mine is about 50% green today and we’ve been down to 19 so far this winter.

Plant Land lot Tree Asphalt Wood

· Registered
1,690 Posts
It's not hard, be methodical in chemically killing it off. I've done it many times. Bermuda (most hybrids, if not all) won't dominate a healthy zoysia in my observation. The scenario u describe is everywhere in my neighborhood as people switch to zoysia because of shade and aesthetics.

When I was in a rush or didn't know better (the above approach), I had to take remedial steps (that isn't easy for avg homeowners) to tactically kill it in zoysia.

· Registered
4 Posts
One of my neighbor buddies has Zoysia (not sure what cultivar) in between two Bermuda yards. He gets full sun, so the the Zoysia thrives - but almost too much. It ends up very thatchy and thus becomes uneven, like a big sponge. Regardless, the Zoysia and its thatch is so dense that it keeps the Bermuda at bay. I've always found that to be interesting when visiting his house.

I have 2,000 sq ft of Zeon Zoysia in the part of my backyard that is semi-shady (where Bermuda won't grow), and it awesome - BUT it is very susceptible to foot (and paw) traffic and takes AGES to grow back in when worn down. I've had to revert to transplanting plugs in many areas because of this.

I have Bermuda, Zeon Zoysia, and Fescue in various parts of my yard based on shade zones, and the Zoysia is by far my favorite.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts