Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

New member here, pretty new to DIY lawn care. Moved into my first house in December 2015; I've always mowed the lawn since we moved in but I had a landscaping company fertilize in the Spring/Summer/Fall of 2016. Decided I did not want to pay the $70 a pop for the fertilization so I've been doing it myself this year.

First treatment was Scott's Lawn Food in mid-April, 30 days later did Scott's Weed and Feed, 35 days from that I did another round of Lawn Food. That was mid-June.

I noticed starting around the end of May that a couple patches of the lawn were browning and just not growing in like the rest of the lawn. As you can see in the below pic, the rest of the lawn is growing nicely and is a nice green color, but the two trouble areas are obviously not doing well. I don't think it's a water/sun issue as the entire side of the lawn where the brown is gets the same amount of water and sun, so I would the browning would be the entire side instead of just patches. And we've had an unusually heavy rainfall this Spring. I should mention that when the landscapers did the fertilizing last year, the lawn grew in well and stayed green for pretty much the entire season [I'm not sure what products they used].

The picture of the edge of the lawn I just started noticing this past weekend. Never noticed this before either.

Any ideas what this could be and what would be the fix? I would like to get these areas back to match the rest of the lawn.

FYI - I have no idea what type of grass I have.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
Welcome to TLF! I thought you might be a spammer because you listed bermuda as your grass type in Rhode Island. :lol:

I'm going to move this over to the cool season subforum. I think they will be able to give you better advice. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I'm still a novice, so take this for what it's worth. I agree that your grass looks like Fescue. Based on your description and the pictures, I would narrow the culprits down to grub worms or fungus.
Closer shots of the problem areas would be helpful.
Someone will come along to provide a more definitive answer. You're in good hands.

·
Administrator
5.6ksqft Bewitched KBG in Fishers, IN
15,319 Posts
^ to make sure it is not your camera or my phone, is there a red tint to the damage area? It looks redish on my phone, but you need to physically look at it. If it shows some red, then it would likely be red thatch fungus.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
It's looking more like heat stress or fertilizer burn. I checked out your rainfall and its 0.68in for the last month.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KRIWARWI10#history/s20170611/e20170711/mmonth

Even though it has rained a lot, the actual amount has been low. So if you skipped watering because of rain it could be part of the problem.

It also could be your sprinklers arent putting enough water out. My old sprinklers took 6 hours to water so I thought I was watering enough but wasnt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.