Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are my post from another Lawn Forum
April 9
I have been debating as to what type of Bermuda grass I am going to have in my yard. Moved into my dream house Sept last year and decided to do nothing until spring.
Back ground
1.6 acre lot 25,000 square feet around the house. The contractor spread cheap contractor cool season grass and So So much hay and straw you could feed a horse. I do have an irrigation system that I am currently adjusting the heads to get adequate coverage. I was not really trying to do the entire 25, 000 square feet all at once because it would be prohibitively expensive. So I decided to do front yard 10,000 and side yard 4,000 sq ft . I moved from a house that had only a 600 square ft patch of grass . So I literally have no lawn equipment.

Problems

I had an initial extreme infestation of Glyphosate Resistant Dallisgrass. My neighbors had it bad as well.
I initially purchased 2 soil savy soil test before discovering this forum.

Decision
After much debate I decided to go with Yukon Bermuda grass because of its cold tolerance and slower vertical growth.

I just received 3 item in the mail
1) Yukon seed from Hancock farms (very quick)
2) Earthway s25 liquid spreader
3) Soil logic liquid gypsum

My Plan
Use my earthway sprayer to broadcast weed killer over my existing lawn
Manually remove all this Darn Hay and Straw
Broadcast liquid gypsum ( I have soidic soil)
Level my Lawn with organic topsoil
Plant in a few weeks when temps get a little warmer. (Still have a few high 30 degree night time temp)

All Advice will be gladly accepted
Before photo

April 9

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

This Friday I used my Earthway s25 to sprayer to KILL it.

How I applied

Home depot 2.5 gallon of 41% glyphosate
directions said use 2.5 ounces per Gallon which will treat about 300 square feet
Doing math thats 10 gallons of water and 25oz of glyphosate per 3000 square feet
Thats 12.5 Oz and 5 gallon water per 1500. I rounded down for overspray and that the sprayer will leave about 1/2 gallon in the sprayer so one tank full 5 gallons per 1000 square feet.
Its been 3 days and my grass isn't happy. I may have to reaply because some spots are still green. Most are yellowing.
Eathway S25 sprayer tip is the course tip.

Next step getting all the rocks and dead grass and Hay outta there
3 day post gly

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Welcome to TFL Telly! Your yard looks as bad as mine :lol: 12.5oz of 41% glypho is way more than the rate I used. I did have another product in my mix though but I would be interested in seeing the label of the product you used. To get most of the dead material off my lawn I used a power rake then cleaned up the debris with my rotary walk behind, you'll look like Pigpen dust cloud and all. Any idea of when you'll have the seed in the ground?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I scalped and raked the dead stuff.
It takes a long time with 25,000 feet .
Harley Raked everything and put down 2 truckloads of topsoil to help amend all this clay i have
It rained for 3 days after that.
I spent the last 4 days leveling and smoothing out the yard.
Good Lord I could kill my builder with all the pavement rocks he decided to spread around the side yard instead of picking up.

Do I have to pick up all the rocks OMG!!
I have done a very good job leveling everything however i didnt get sand .
I read in the other post about leveling.
Should I get a crap load of sand and level the yard meticulously before I plant seed? I can get leveling sand for $30 a ton/yard.
Or should I just wait and plant seed and attempt to correct next year?
If I put a bunch of sand down and then seed wont the broadcast spreader leave a lot of ruts?
Would I roll the yard after ?
I have a heard of 10-15 deer that run and frolic in my yard every night. Deer prints will drive me crazy every morning.
If Bringing in sand in my case will truly save me a lot of headache in the future I wil do it.
pictures in the Morning,

Your advice is appreciated

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
J_nick said:
Welcome to TFL Telly! Your yard looks as bad as mine :lol: 12.5oz of 41% glypho is way more than the rate I used. I did have another product in my mix though but I would be interested in seeing the label of the product you used. To get most of the dead material off my lawn I used a power rake then cleaned up the debris with my rotary walk behind, you'll look like Pigpen dust cloud and all. Any idea of when you'll have the seed in the ground?
Sure thing
Maybe thats why nothing has grown back after initial application

Its been over a month

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Sand is good on a fully established lawn because it can work its way into the grass and still be able to move it for leveling. Working on bare dirt I think I would just work with what you've got. Sand in your situation might not be the best idea but I'm far from an expert. How was the Harley Rake? I plan to rent one in a couple weeks to help initially level my lawn. I have experience running a skid steer but never ran a Harley Rake.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
J_nick said:
Sand is good on a fully established lawn because it can work its way into the grass and still be able to move it for leveling. Working on bare dirt I think I would just work with what you've got. Sand in your situation might not be the best idea but I'm far from an expert. How was the Harley Rake? I plan to rent one in a couple weeks to help initially level my lawn. I have experience running a skid steer but never ran a Harley Rake.
The harley rake is easy if you have experience with the Skid.
Do go over the area many times.
The more you go over the area the more level you will be able to make everything. Use the harley rake attachment to push soil to low spots. I had a huge ditch on my side yard that is now a little ditch,
Afterwards Make sure you try to rake and roll your yard as soon as you can afterwards. It rained for 3 days after I rakes and it took twice as long to get everything right.
Moving backward you can eliminate ruts and divots your skid makes.
I say all this but i didnt do any of it. My brother did.

I will probably plant Saturday. Soil temps are now averaging 65 with highs in the mid 80's
I bought some soil Moist I will mix with the seed. And I am debating rather or not I will use a pellet paper seed cover
like this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BVPUVA/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1PCUIINTCGL0C
Im not going to pay those prices for it
Or since I have irrigation not worry about seed cover at all.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
coreymays22 said:
Subscribed. Cant wait to see how it turns out. BTW where is Nashvy? Short for Nashville?
Oh wow that was auto correct.
I'm from Nashville. My hands are blistered my legs are wobbly
5 days of picking up rocks and leveling the lawn. With this heat I could only do 5000 square feet a day.

Some before and during pictures and a little sample of the side yard completed. Still need to drag a leveling mat.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No no no seed is not down😢😢
It rained about a inch last night and it was way to wet to try to do it. Around 5 pm it had dried up enough and I thought about it. But I set my alarm for 5:30 a.m. I'm going to hit it hard in the morning.
Seed starter fertilizer and a crap ton load of paper pellet seed accelerator I got dirt cheap on clearance. 45 bags for 2.99 each.
I'll let you see a picture anyway of my plan

Gonna put all this down hopefully in the AM

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am going to leave about 2000 square feet without the use of the pellet seed accelerator. Or anything other that raking it into the soil and starter fertilizer. No seed cover. Curious to see how they compare.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am soooo tired
I finished it all
Started at 6;39 am didn't get done till 3:00 pm
What I did.
1) Put down 2 bags of Lesco starter Fertilizer. John deer spreeder set at 3. Pretty good spread able to spread both directions. Each bag covered 12,000 square feet
2)Prep seed with soil moist. Warning warning
Please use a mask while doing this. The soil moist is very fine dust designed to expand many times its size when exposed to moisture.
Don't do like me and be so fascinated that you are all in the bucket without a mask while stirring the powder in the seed. Soil moist + lungs = painful uncontrollable coughing. 1st stupid mistake of the day.
3) Spent 30-45 min coughing up my left lung and listening to my wife ( a physician ) call me all kinds of stupid while she looked up the material safety data sheet to see if I needed treatment.
I was ok and I stayed inside until for an hour.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
4) The seed was a lot smaller that I thought. Very small. I used the spreader at 2 and it wasn't coming out fast enough. So I used 3.5 and it was perfect even with such a small seed. The seed left a light gray coating everywhere. Don't know if it will show up in the picture.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not a big fan of my spreader
5) After laying seed I lightly raked and then rolled the yard. I did the yard by 5000 yard sections at a time.
6) Next i used the paper pellet grass seed excellerator. It was fun to use because it made everything in the yard dark newspaper gray. You can barely see the ground in some spots after watering.
I applied this with my speeder. Setting was the widest 11-12 . Instructions on the bag say that 5 bags cover 3000 ft. I actually used 2 bags per k and this seemed like a lot. These things really swell up and hold water. Comparison is wet vs dry pellet

Everything covered in gray

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Clean up and watering everything was so satisfying.
My feet hurt
If you don't believe that I worked hard today check out my Fitbit.

However I can not tell you my success without telling you my biggest failure.
Yes I was outside all day in the heat
Yes I had a tank top on.
Yes I am African American
Yes I said "I'm black I don't need sunscreen"
Yes I have never had sunburn in my entire life
Yes we do tan in the sun
Yes my wife called my all kinds of stupid big dummy crazy a** for the rest of the day. Even as I'm writing this she stopped washing dishes came into the bed room and called me a big dummy
Yes I can't lay sit on my back
Yes I will show a picture.

I think I will leave it at that. To tired to do anything else today

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.