Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I got a new greens mower and started using it http://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=432&p=8094#p8094, mowed for the second time today with it and my grass is still brown. :sad: It looks like it did in the previous post linked above. HOC is set at 3/4" by the dealer I purchased it from. Before I mowed I scalped my lawn with my rider and of course the grass was brown as I cut away all the green. After doing so, I treated it to an app of milo and LESCO 24-0-3 mixed 50/50. I watered it daily except when it has rained and yet it still isn't greening up. Its been 1 week since the scalp. I feel like as others said would happen, I am cutting away the green with the HOC being as low as it is. So I reluctantly, I am going to raise my HOC to see if it will green up. A couple of questions before I do so.

1. I need to add some sand to smooth out some spots; can I still do this now or should I wait until next year? Also, my back lawn is in desperate need of some sand/leveling but the grass is about 1.5" or so back there. Can I add sand and spread with a drag mat without scalping first?

2. If I raise my HOC, how much should I raise it? I still need to get a HOC budget bar but I can build one tomorrow pretty quickly.

3. Also, I want to apply a PGR as I will be unable to mow the lawn twice a week starting next week. When should I put this down and how will that affect the green up with the fert application?

Thanks in advanced for the help! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
The key is to scalp at a lower height than what you want to maintain. If you are wanting to keep the 3/4" maintenance height then you should scalp to 3/8" or 1/2" so you aren't cutting all of the green off with each cut.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,473 Posts
Spammage said:
The key is to scalp at a lower height than what you want to maintain. If you are wanting to keep the 3/4" maintenance height then you should scalp to 3/8" or 1/2" so you aren't cutting all of the green off with each cut.
+1 to this as this might be the reason you aren't seeing any green yet and it's only been one week since you scalped so that has something to do with it too. It usually takes a good 2 weeks for it to recover after scalping, so either give it more time or go lower to maintain at .750".

I think adding sand to help smooth the lawn will help at your current HOC but you won't see the greatest results as if you were to take it down low before doing it. I don't think too many people have attempted leveling at your current HOC so you would be one of the first and it may set you up better for next year when you can do it properly.

You would want to apply PGR when all or most of the grass is green so just wait for that to happen before applying it and you will be fine.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
To echo what's already been said above:

Spot leveling with sand should work fine, it'll need to be much lower for a full leveling.

You can scalp down to .50 with your reel to then maintain at .75 or just raise the HOC to 1 now. The bench HOC can be very different from the actual HOC with different mowers.

Do not apply PGR to a stressed lawn, you'll need to wait.

The lawn will take 2-3 weeks to recover, compared to other grass types that is fast (they would die, lol).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I will hold off on the PGR for now until it greens up well. I am also going to raise the HOC to prob 1" or so, but no higher. I guess I was being a little too impatient as I was hoping it would green up quicker than two weeks or so. I will just have to be more patient.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.