Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Been lurking here for the past few months but decided to finally make an account. This forum seems to be more active for warm season lawn owners than the other site I normally use. Hope to be able to contribute to this community in the future.

On to my dilemma: last year, I decided to renovate my front and back lawn with triangle bermuda. The previous owner had a 50/50 mix of St. Augustine with all kinds of weeds. I decided to start over from scratch and nuked it with glyphosate. I wanted to have a golf course fairway look which is why I chose to seed bermuda.

Fast forward to today and my front lawn has really excelled. The back, however, not so much. I'd say towards the end of last years growing season, my 750 square feet back lawn was only about 75% covered with some areas very thin and leggy. This year has gotten even worse after coming out of dormancy. Only about 20% of the lawn greened up and the rest stayed brown and thin. I'm attributing it to not enough sunlight. My backyard has a lot of shade from tall surrounding trees. I observed how much sunlight it gets and I don't think it gets no more than 3-4 hours of direct sunlight in the morning then the rest of the day is filtered sunlight.

I've been researching about zoysia varieties since they are more shade tolerant or doesn't need as much as sun. St. Augustine is out of the question since I want a thin bladed grass variety. So I'm here for your advice and recommendations. What kind of zoysia would you recommend? Being in Southern California, can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to order them? I'm trying to do this as budget friendly as possible so my plan is to either seed or buy sod and plug them with my pro plugger.

Thanks,

Joseph

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have Royal Zoysia because I have a lot of filtered sun in my back yard. It seems to do pretty good. This is my third growing season and it is starting to get thicker since I have picked up Toro GM1000.

The place I got my sod also recommend Diamond Zoysia because apparently it can take 80% shade.

I live in South Carolina so not sure this will help you much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, the trees covering my backyard are my neighbors. I've trimmed all the branches that are overhanging my fence but any more trimming and I'd have to start cutting on their side of the fence.

I will look into west coast turf. Thanks for the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.