Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done the plastic edge or border only to have it pull up over time or have the turf settle exposing too much of the lip. My new neighbor is a landscaper and told me to just cut a trench with a spade (square). I have to say I think this looks the best. The trench I cut is 4 deep X 3 wide inches approx., I drive spade down then move over 3 inches drive spade at an angle back to my original cut. The mulch will fill in and does not move past. Over time you will have to clean up trench, I just use a trimmer or you can use a bed definer.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
lewb said:
I have done the plastic edge or border only to have it pull up over time or have the turf settle exposing too much of the lip. My new neighbor is a landscaper and told me to just cut a trench with a spade (square). I have to say I think this looks the best. The trench I cut is 4 deep X 3 wide inches approx., I drive spade down then move over 3 inches drive spade at an angle back to my original cut. The mulch will fill in and does not move past. Over time you will have to clean up trench, I just use a trimmer or you can use a bed definer.
Post some pics! :thumbup:

I'm a big fan of the clean look of natural edges, but I think it can be a little more difficult to maintain with our creeping grasses here in the south.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I really like the clean edge provided by the "natural look" boarder as well I consider trying it, but after having to constantly pull bermuda out of the raised bed in the front, I gave up on the idea. My Bermuda creeps under the blocks, thru the smallest cracks between the blocks, and grows into the bed.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
lewb said:
I use round up or glyphosate on grass when it creeps in to bed.
I think you have bigger issues if your grass is creeping into bed with you!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
195 Posts
lewb said:
We live relatively close and have similar grass types. I do the same thing you do and have no troubles. I clean up the trench with a trimmer maybe once a month and use an edging tool I got from Home Depot about 3-4 times a year. I had to make my drop off smaller because my wife claims she'll sprain an ankle. I just love the look though. My mother in law wants me to work on her yard this weekend.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice edge, I have experimented with trimming edge and what seems to work the best is to walk in the bed and tip trimmer 90 degrees and cut back into yard so you do not throw as many chips. what did you pay for the mulch? I paid 31.00 a yard from Lahoha ;hard wood no color.

·
Registered
195 Posts
lewb said:
Nice edge, I have experimented with trimming edge and what seems to work the best is to walk in the bed and tip trimmer 90 degrees and cut back into yard so you do not throw as many chips. what did you pay for the mulch? I paid 31.00 a yard from Lahoha ;hard wood no color.
I ended up paying a total of $650 with Omaha Organics. They did all of my beds "which is around the whole fence line" and the front, which isn't much. It probably averaged around that 31.00 a yard.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If you have trouble keeping straight lines with a trimmer for edging, try this method.. The seed shop I goto was slow so I was just chatting with the guys there about it joking about how terrible I was and he said hey try it this way and it clicked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y96btLg5Z_E

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
GrassDaddy said:
If you have trouble keeping straight lines with a trimmer for edging, try this method.. The seed shop I goto was slow so I was just chatting with the guys there about it joking about how terrible I was and he said hey try it this way and it clicked!

Are you right handed?

I'll give it a try next time!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great demonstration! You make it look so easy. I am going to try this method next time.

GrassDaddy said:

·
Registered
53 Posts

I don't have a good picture that shows my beds , but I agree that the "treched" beds are the best looking. Check out the rental places near you for a "bed definer" or "bed shaper". Home depot carrys them. They make very quick work to create the trench. I have a bed "redefiner" attachment for my stihl kombi that does a nice job of keeping them cleaned out.
As for keeping the grass edged, nothing beats a metal edger.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
tigertailbell said:

I don't have a good picture that shows my beds , but I agree that the "treched" beds are the best looking. Check out the rental places near you for a "bed definer" or "bed shaper". Home depot carrys them. They make very quick work to create the trench. I have a bed "redefiner" attachment for my stihl kombi that does a nice job of keeping them cleaned out.
As for keeping the grass edged, nothing beats a metal edger.
Thanks for sharing. This is the yard that came to mind when this thread was started - the best I've seen. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.