Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already know that I'm putting down emerald zoysia in the front yard. That decision was not really in my hands at all. but I'm trying to figure out specifically which cultivar of bermuda will be going down in the back. I've narrowed it down to tifway, tifsport, and tifgreen.

I'm leaning towards tifsport, because it supposedly stays green longer, and greens up faster. Which means, where I live, I may be able to keep it green and awesome year round.

Thoughts? Small yard, not much over 1000 sq/ft. Sees like foot traffic and does see pet usage. Currently scalping at 0.5" and mowing at 1", but will be changing that as soon as I can. Would like to maintain around 0.5".

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
I would go with a dwarf bermuda like Champion or Miniverde if I was going to do it all over again. I am sure if you get with one of your local courses you can get there plugs from their greens when they aerate and use them. Best of all it's FREE!!.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mightyquinn said:
I would go with a dwarf bermuda like Champion or Miniverde if I was going to do it all over again. I am sure if you get with one of your local courses you can get there plugs from their greens when they aerate and use them. Best of all it's FREE!!.
How would those handle being grown a little longer? I don't have a greens mower, and don't know when i'll be picking one up. And I'm going to lay sod, no matter what it is. I don't want to wait for it to spread. I want instant good looking full lawn. :bandit:

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
gijoe4500 said:
Mightyquinn said:
How would those handle being grown a little longer? I don't have a greens mower, and don't know when i'll be picking one up. And I'm going to lay sod, no matter what it is. I don't want to wait for it to spread. I want instant good looking full lawn. :bandit:
I've been curious about that myself about a higher HOC on ultra dwarf bermuda. I was playing golf today and the course has Champion bermuda greens and it looked like the collar around the green was the same kind of grass as it was VERY fine bladed but cut at a taller height obviously. I wasn't aware you didn't have a greens mower and that sod was the only solution. It is something I would like to experiment with down the road.

As far as sod choices go, I would go with TifSport, TifGrand or Celebration. As they are all newer breeds and have a darker green color than Tifway or Tifway2.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
gijoe4500 said:
I wish I had a greens mower. But it's not in the cards right now. And probably won't be for a few years. Just can't justify the costs right now
I was by no means trying to push you into one, just wasn't aware and I'm sorry for that. What kind of mower do you have BTW?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mightyquinn said:
gijoe4500 said:
I wish I had a greens mower. But it's not in the cards right now. And probably won't be for a few years. Just can't justify the costs right now
I was by no means trying to push you into one, just wasn't aware and I'm sorry for that. What kind of mower do you have BTW?
No worries! I do want one. And one day, it'll happen. Just not yet. Currently rocking a great states manual reel, but will probably pick up a used McLane. Or a TruCut if I can find a solid deal on one.

·
Registered
859 Posts
gijoe4500 said:
tigertailbell said:
Btw, I have 9,000' of emerald and 1500' of tifgrand.
How does the emerald comare to tifgrand, looks wise? Do you prefer one over the other?
Tifgrand is noticibly darker next to tifway and a tad courser. I'd prefer tifway over tifgrand and celebration if my soil ph wasn't so high. I've seen a guy with tifsport and I was amazed by the color and texture. That'd be my choice of turf. Tifgrand and celebration are similar in color but celebration having a more blue green color. If I were you, I'd go with tifsport. have you considered checking them out at the turf farms for yourself?!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Iriasj2009 said:
gijoe4500 said:
tigertailbell said:
How does the emerald comare to tifgrand, looks wise? Do you prefer one over the other?
Tifgrand is noticibly darker next to tifway and a tad courser. I'd prefer tifway over tifgrand and celebration if my soil ph wasn't so high. I've seen a guy with tifsport and I was amazed by the color and texture. That'd be my choice of turf. Tifgrand and celebration are similar in color but celebration having a more blue green color. If I were you, I'd go with tifsport. have you considered checking them out at the turf farms for yourself?!
I have. And I am going to. But am doing prelim. Research right now. If there was something obviously wrong with one or two of them that I was overlooking, you guys would let me know. Lol

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
Iriasj2009 said:
gijoe4500 said:
tigertailbell said:
I put a pallet of TifGrand down in my yard several years ago in some shaded areas(most of it has thinned out but comes back during the peak of Summer) and I always thought that it had a finer leaf blade than Tifway but using a groomer on the lawn to keep the lawn plants young may produce better results. But I agree with Iriasj, that Tifsport would be my choice too from everything I have researched.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Mightyquinn said:
I put a pallet of TifGrand down in my yard several years ago in some shaded areas(most of it has thinned out but comes back during the peak of Summer) and I always thought that it had a finer leaf blade than Tifway....
I would take mightys word since he has them next to each other.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.