My Conversion over to Reel Mowers and leveling

8K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Stro3579 
#1 ·
My yard when I was using a rotary riding mower

Did my first leveing job and converted to a reel mower. Mclain 20inch

after the bermuda snapped back, my first cut

See less See more
#2 ·
I then got hooked. I purchased a Tru Cut 27 and sold the Mclain. I then decided I was gonna take it to the next level and get a Toro GM1600. My yard was still not as leveled as I wanted it. on 7/21 I scalped the yard and started from scratch. It was the hottest weekend of the summer thus far. I scalped with the tru cut at .475" and then areated.

oh yeah, I decided not to do this manually again. Lmao. I was in so much pain the first leveling job.

Areator

Dingo

Top Dresser

25 tons of Sand

#5 ·
3 days later the grass started breaking through the sand. :)

Overall I am pretty happy with the outcome. Still haven't filled completely in, but we haven't had any rain since. I will have to probably level once more next season. I am cutting at .475" every other day to try to get it to spread. I am also thinking of rolling the yard after a heavy rain.

#10 ·
First cut today with the toro, I love this thing. It will take a minute to get used too. I am still using the Tru Cut mower to do my clean up pass with the rest with toro. Yard is filling in pretty good though.

Still have some sandy areas. But filling in pretty good.

love this thing.

#11 ·
Stro3579 said:
First cut today with the toro, I love this thing. It will take a minute to get used too. I am still using the Tru Cut mower to do my clean up pass with the rest with toro. Yard is filling in pretty good though.

love this thing.
Do you mind telling us what the price was for eveything?
Dingo, attatchments, sand, etc?

By the way, killer job, looks awesome!

#12 ·
ajmikola said:
Stro3579 said:

love this thing.

Prices may vary. All equipment for the weekend was like $400
Sand would be around $600 but I own a dump truck and was able to get it myself.

#14 ·
FATC1TY said:
Makes me want to start to bring beers and lunch to the grounds crew on the golf course. Tell them to leave the top dresser and core aerators at the fence for me to use for a few hours..
:lol: Lmao!! I just couldn't see doing it manually again after the first 2 times I leveled. I had to take the next day off of work because I was in a lot of pain from shoveling and wheeling the wheel barrow.

#15 ·
ajmikola said:
Stro3579 said:

love this thing.

I sent you a PM

#17 ·
SGrabs33 said:
I've priced out dingo/verticutter/aerator before in the Raleigh area and its 500ish a day.
That's expensive. That's without the top dresser and trailer.

I rented a trailer, ride on areator, top dresser, and dingo. $469 for weekend. I got the areator for a day rate I believe. I got the areator 3pm on that Friday and returned by noon Saturday. The rest I kept all weekend.

#23 ·
Incredible job! Yard is looking smooth and green, really great work! Did you contract this out or did you rent the equipment yourself and do it? I wouldn't know where to begin to get equipment like that. Did they give you any training on how to use it, or was it pretty straightforward?

I have about 10,000sq-ft and i did it manually twice last year and having a hard time to get the motivation to do it again this year. I'm almost to the point of ordering 7 pallets of play sand just to make it easier to place it in the yard (but its about 4x the price of delivered bulk sand)

#24 ·
CMOG Dibbler said:
Incredible job! Yard is looking smooth and green, really great work! Did you contract this out or did you rent the equipment yourself and do it? I wouldn't know where to begin to get equipment like that. Did they give you any training on how to use it, or was it pretty straightforward?

I have about 10,000sq-ft and i did it manually twice last year and having a hard time to get the motivation to do it again this year. I'm almost to the point of ordering 7 pallets of play sand just to make it easier to place it in the yard (but its about 4x the price of delivered bulk sand)
Thanks, I rented the equipment and did it myself. The rental place will show you how to operate the equipment. It was pretty straight forward though. My front yard is a little over 8500 sq feet, so I can relate to not wanting to do it manually again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.