Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a mushroom bloom this year like I've not seen before. Both my front yard Bermuda which I keep cut at about .375 and the back St Augustine which I keep at about three inches. Do the mushrooms tell a story about an imbalance on soil chemistry that I need to be aware of?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
No imbalance of soil chemistry.
It's just the reproductive (fruiting body) of soil fungi and you definitely want soil fungi. It is a sign of healthy soil biology and they will disappear when conditions change (temp and moisture levels).

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Topcat said:
Do the mushrooms tell a story about an imbalance on soil chemistry that I need to be aware of?
No. Fungi live in the soil and when the conditions are just right (temperature/moisture) they pop out some mushrooms to ensure continuation of the species. They generally feed on decaying organic matter and wood though, so either you have a soil that's very rich in OM or there's wood buried(roots etc).

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
I have a different take on mushrooms. They can also be a sign of fairy ring which depending on what type you have can create unsightly rings in the lawn. I had a case of it a few years ago but after I aerated it hasn't come back. I usually get them when I have had a lot of rain and the lawn has stayed wet for a few days. I also don't have a high OM in my soil except for the top 1-2 inches which also causes my soil to be soft and spongy and water repellant.

I think it Depends on what you are trying to do with your lawn, if you are keeping it really short like I do then OM is not your friend but otherwise it's not a bad thing to have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.