Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys (specifically with greens mowers) handle mowing on slopes? I have a few spots where the roller just spins (no traction). A little push from me and it goes fine - just stuck for a second.

What I'm really curious about is in spots where the grade makes a bowl and it's not fixable. For instance, my side yard has a generous slope downward toward street similar to Red's side yard. However, right in the middle is a manhole and 2 valve boxes for sprinkler system. This area creates a bowl so even a major sand leveling will now fix it. Not to mention I can raise the grade all I want but I can't extend the man hole or boxes higher up.

It's a little hard to see. I'll try to snap a better pic later.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
You CAN raise the valve boxes if you want. It would just require you to dig them up and then raise the boxes to the level you want. I would level the area first and then raise it to the current height.

For the man hole cover, you could raise the height around it and then just mow around it like it was a tree or something.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
ahartzell said:
I'm not sure I can level this. Hard to tell from that pic but I'd guess its a good 6-8" below grade. It seems like it would almost take tilling up. regrading, and resodding 😕
Just start by adding a few bags of sand to the area every couple of weeks, making sure not to completely cover the blades of the grass. Use the back of a rake and a broom to help smooth things out. By the end of the season, it should be way better than it is now at a fraction of the cost and labor of tilling, regrading and resodding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.