Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else here into biking? I'm still pretty new at it, but I definitely enjoy it. Trying to build up my leg endurance and lungs right now. It kicks my ***. I'm also a chicken when it comes to drops, dodging trees, sharp turns, etc. So I'm slow on the up hills AND the down hills.

I ride a Haro Flightline 27.Five Expert hardtail. Girlfriend has a Giant Liv Bliss. Kiddo rides a $100 bike from Academy.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
gijoe, keep at it. :thumbup:

As with anything, I can never leave it stock. I started with a Giant Revel 1 hardtail, but since have upgraded pretty much 90% of the bike. I plan to upgrade to a full suspension one day and this one will hopefully go to one of my girls (oldest is just turning 6, so I still have plenty of seat time left on this one). :lol:

It is definitely a fun hobby and beats running on the threadmill at the gym.

I upgraded the front fork, did a 1x10 conversion, added chain guide up front, changed up to a wider bar, changed the brakes, clipless pedals (this was scary at first), etc..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice looking bike! I'm looking at getting a giant hard tail myself. What have you thought of yours?
ericgautier said:
gijoe, keep at it. :thumbup:

As with anything, I can never leave it stock. I started with a Giant Revel 1 hardtail, but since have upgraded pretty much 90% of the bike. I plan to upgrade to a full suspension one day and this one will hopefully go to one of my girls (oldest is just turning 6, so I still have plenty of seat time left on this one). :lol:

It is definitely a fun hobby and beats running on the threadmill at the gym.

I upgraded the front fork, did a 1x10 conversion, added chain guide up front, changed up to a wider bar, changed the brakes, clipless pedals (this was scary at first), etc..

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Pharmower said:
Nice looking bike! I'm looking at getting a giant hard tail myself. What have you thought of yours?
Do you have a Giant model in mind?

I like my bike after the upgrades. Stock form was ok, but it is/was a beginner bike. I didn't know much back then when I first bought it. I just liked the colors and the price was good. LOL. But, as you grow into it, you learn what you like and dislike. Honestly, I should have just sold the bike in stock form and bought a better/higher model up but I just couldn't leave it alone and upgraded it.

LMK what model you are looking at then I can give you more of my thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
The XTC is a sweet bike! :thumbup: Both are similar in specs. I'll probably come down to which one "feels" best to you. Have you visited a local bike shop and test rode one yet?

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
mtlcafan79 said:
Consider a dropper seat post for the descents. It will change things dramatically and build confidence once the seat post is no longer in your way.
Wow. I haven't ridden in a number of years, but I can see where that would be a real game changer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Honestly there's so much range with a 1X I haven't felt the need for one. I have a 28 tooth chainring and a 10-42 cassette. With the 46 and even 50 tooth first gears you can literally climb walls. I give up way before I run out of a low enough gear.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've got an 11-36 cassette on mine, so I can't simple drop my granny gear up front. If I ever do go 1x, i'll have to change out my cassette as well, since 36 isn't going to be low enough. On my crank, i think i've got a 38/24 right now. It works well for me, and I don't have to put in granny gear too often. Its nice to have though, just in case.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I Bought this today! It's a used Scott scale 900 rc with a Mix of shimano xtr and sram xx. It's got a lot of miles on it but the previous owner threw in new tires, chain, and handlebar grips and even left the power meter on it for me. Cleaned it up today.. I want the mud on it to be my mud 😁

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.