Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread should dovetail with the Gopher Traps thread...

For moles, I prefer a scissor style trap like the Victor Out O'Sight...

...or Tomcat Mole Trap.

I think Trapline Mole Traps are also pretty popular.

What have you had luck with?

Regardless of which trap you choose, I think the key is to get on a fresh tunnel. If I happen to miss some new mole activity for a few days, I usually start by smashing down all the tunnels, then I set a trap on the first tunnel that comes up.

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I left town yesterday with a couple traps set on my next door neighbor's lawn. I forgot all about them, but I just received this photo via text...

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Ware said:
That style is my favorite. It's super sensitive which I find a good thing.

I also have this style but it's not as sensitive as the above style. I've had moles go under it and not trigger it. I've caught moles with it but have better luck with the style mentioned above. I do like the all steel construction as I've had plastic one break in the past :evil:

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you really want to geek out on mole traps, this guy sells some stainless mods for the Victor, which includes a larger trigger pan. He also sells traps with the mods already installed.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Wes said:
Are you going to skin them all? I hear Dr. Scholls will buy them from you. There is also a company that makes nice little notebooks that may be interested in your trappings.
Haha no I don't do anything with them but throw them either in the pasture or the empty lot across the street. I'm feeding the stray cat population.

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I set this on some fresh activity yesterday morning before leaving for work. It was popped when walked out to leave this morning. :thumbup:

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Topcat said:
I finally got him - he was causing havoc to the lawn. I tried poison pellets, poison worms, and had to resort to traps.
Nothing beats a good trap for moles and gophers. Here is a University of Arkansas paper on controlling moles. They address many of the popular "folk remedies" before ultimately saying that "trapping moles is the preferred method of removing moles."

·
Super Moderator
Northern Mix (12k)
6,171 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Trapline mole traps. I must've killed twenty with those. I haven't had any now in a couple years. Also killed one with a pitchfork by pure luck and desperation.

·
Super Moderator
Northern Mix (12k)
6,171 Posts
Ware said:
I'm working on a mole that has apparently figured out how to evade my scissor traps. I'm becoming irritated.
What's your plan? Different style trap?

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.