Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was researching if there are any affordable sharpeners out there to try and do my own maintenance. I came across this miltona relief and bedknife facer. Curious if anyone has tried this product before.

http://www.miltona.com/store/Equipment-Maintenance/Relief-Bedknife-Grinding-Combo-Kit-P192C49.aspx

Do y'all think a handheld sharpener would work and be good enough vs taking your reel somewhere.

· Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,758 Posts
Ral1121 said:
I was researching if there are any affordable sharpeners out there to try and do my own maintenance. I came across this miltona relief and bedknife facer. Curious if anyone has tried this product before.

http://www.miltona.com/store/Equipment-Maintenance/Relief-Bedknife-Grinding-Combo-Kit-P192C49.aspx

Do y'all think a handheld sharpener would work and be good enough vs taking your reel somewhere.
I too have looked at that product or something very similar. It's only used to "face" the bedknife and not for sharpening the reel. You really don't need a special tool like that when you could do it yourself with a file or some kind of powered grinder as all you are doing is putting a "face" or cutting edge on your bedkinfe which can help with your quality of cut.

· Super Moderator
5,758 Posts
To be honest, I never looked at the link originally but now that I did, it is VERY interesting tool indeed. I wonder if you can get it without the grinder and just buy the head?

· Super Moderator
5,758 Posts
g-man said:
Here are other options. https://accuproducts.com/index.php/sharpening-tools.html

I would not use the grinders since it will be hard to keep the reel even.
That's one of the one's I remember seeing that only do the bedknife.

· Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,873 Posts
g-man said:
...I would not use the grinders since it will be hard to keep the reel even.
+1, the purpose of spin grinding is to ensure that the reel is a perfect cylinder (removing the taper). The optional relief is cut after the spin grind. I wouldn't attempt either as a DIY project.

· Premium Member
3,434 Posts
It is pretty well made. But, I would practice on a junked reel to get the feel for it.. It is not nearly like this unit. which goes for $15000+. [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10JwOnmpHJc[/media]
I keep a Makita 3/8" power file to finish up the ends of the reel. Only reason why I even have the Miltona Relief Grinder is because I grind then backlap McLanes and Tru-Cuts on the weekends. The shops in Hawaii like to grind off all of the relief angle and give it back to the homeowner like that. More money for constant spin grinds and replacement reels. Except a new reel for a McLane is now around $450. In another time, that was only $300.

· Registered
3,346 Posts
Greendoc said:
It is pretty well made. But, I would practice on a junked reel to get the feel for it..

Only reason why I even have the Miltona Relief Grinder is because I grind then backlap McLanes and Tru-Cuts on the weekends.
I would love to have a rapid relief, but can't in any way justify the $1500 price. I'm using a TruCut and believe that added relief could extend the time between adjustment and backlapping for cutting my zoysia. I wish Miltona was selling the attachments without the Metabo angle grinder and for a much lower price.

· Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Only thing that makes it worth it for me is I want $100 each to relief and lap in a reel. I do more than 15 mowers a year. My Toro dealer will spin, relief, then lap my GM for $300. Unless I need my reel spin ground, I am far ahead to do my own lapping and relief grinding.

Do you have anyone local that relief grinds? I do, but he takes 14 days to turn around a mower. I cannot wait that long. My Toro dealer takes about a week. I need to get a lot of mowing done in one week.

· Super Moderator
5,758 Posts
R&R Products has this for a little cheaper Head Assembly Grinder

*This is just for the Bedknife Facer*

· Premium Member
3,434 Posts
I never used the bedknife facing attachment.. I will remove the bedbar, vise it and follow the face angle with a belt sander on very low speed. Have not had a problem doing that yet. Putting a 3000+ RPM grinding wheel to the face of the bedknife is not something I feel comfortable doing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts