Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

SO I am interested in buying a "milorganite spreader". AKA a push spreader that can fit a bag of milorganite (or possibly more) at a time. Right now I have to refill after every pass on the lawn, so it takes a while. What spreaders do you guys have?

I don't want to go all out and spend $400 but I know this won't be a $50 buy either.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
I have a Spyker 288 Super which is now S60-12020. I love it as it will hold anything I have to put down and it came in handy for my Franken Spreader-Mate that I made. Personally you can't go wrong with Spyker, Earthway, Lesco or any of the "professional lines". If you can afford it try getting one with a Stainless Steel frame as it will last longer than the other frames. I know the one I have is out of your price range but you should be able to get a high quality one for around $200.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I have the 50 lb hopper (it holds a 50 lb bag of fert) Spyker spreader p20-5010. This spreader normally costs around 200$. I bought it on local online classifieds like Craigslist. Cost me $15 or so dollars because the linkage rod was missing. The linkage cost me an additional 10$ to buy from manufacturer brinley.

Look online daily or download Craigslist app on your phone that will notify you when your search criteria is listed by someone. Search "spreader." deals are out there to be had.

I used to have the same walk behind spreader you have in your videos, the small Scotts one. I sold it for $20 to a lawn novice friend. That Scotts spreader worked well for me for about 2 years but the plastic tires bounce and the hopper is small. It's also not an awesome toy with "pneumatic tires", a must have for any true lawn enthusiast. I'm kidding of course.

My Spyker does not have an edge guard which is lame in some ways but acceptable.

When you make the upgrade you'll be happy you did.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
wardconnor said:
...the plastic tires bounce and the hopper is small. It's also not an awesome toy with "pneumatic tires", a must have for any true lawn enthusiast...
Agree. If I was buying a new/new to me spreader, pneumatic tires would be at the top of my wish list. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Ware said:
wardconnor said:
...the plastic tires bounce and the hopper is small. It's also not an awesome toy with "pneumatic tires", a must have for any true lawn enthusiast...
Agree. If I was buying a new/new to me spreader, pneumatic tires would be at the top of my wish list. :thumbup:
I gotta ask, as flat as some of these lawns are, where would you get bounce? My front lawn is not even close to being as flat and level as some I've seen here, and I do not get any bounce in the front.

Now my backyard is a little different. I have St Augustine in the back, and cut at about 3" and up during the peak of summer. There are some pretty big "bumps" buried under the turf, and I get a little bounce from the hard plastic wheels - but not enough for me to want to spend $200.00 for pneumatic tires. I think I am getting pretty even spread of material back there. The lawn looks great.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
+1 about large pneumatic tires. They also distribute the weight more evenly for an easier push of large weights.

DO NOT test out or play with a large Lesco spreader unless you have your credit card very close by. On second thought, be sure and leave the credit card at home.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks!

So what I'm gathering is if you get one with pnuematic tires & can hold a full bag of milo, generally all the brands have one that is good quality. I might ask my landscaper friends if I can play with theirs and see which I like best!

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
GrassDaddy said:
Thanks!

So what I'm gathering is if you get one with pnuematic tires & can hold a full bag of milo, generally all the brands have one that is good quality. I might ask my landscaper friends if I can play with theirs and see which I like best!
Just be careful... Most of the guys who do it for a living around here use the Le$co. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.