Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have some questions about my upcoming renovation this fall. The first is about my tall fescue choice. I've been testing some in some containers the last few weeks. Here is what I've found.
1. Primetime tall fescue, burlingham seeds. Mix of bullseye, GTO, and Hot Rod. $64.99 a 50lb. Bag. (My only concern is the price is cheap for these varieties.) This is not a blue tag seed. Is this legit or probably something they just throw in from their warehouse..
2. Defiance xre with speedway, blackwatch 2, and grande 3. $80.00 a bag.
3. "Top Choice" tall fescue from co-op $80.00 a bag. Seems like a real fine slow grower. Alliance seeds..?

Also plan on double core aeration, seeding,, then slice seeding it with one pass into the soil. Starter fertilizer and lime. My question is after that do I use Tenacity on the bare soil? Or wait until the grass has germinated for a couple weeks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was also wanting some opinions on TSC brand groundworks tall fescue. I've tested this seed also and I have to say it germinates very quickly and looks pretty healthy. It consists of Garrison, speedway, and "VNS" (variety not stated). Does anyone know what the mystery seed could be? Is it a lower scoring ntep seed or would they possibly even put KY 31 in there!? Like I said for the price it's tempting and definitely germinates. Thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Vols_fan08 said:
Hi guys I have some questions about my upcoming renovation this fall. The first is about my tall fescue choice. I've been testing some in some containers the last few weeks. Here is what I've found.
1. Primetime tall fescue, burlingham seeds. Mix of bullseye, GTO, and Hot Rod. $64.99 a 50lb. Bag. (My only concern is the price is cheap for these varieties.) This is not a blue tag seed. Is this legit or probably something they just throw in from their warehouse..
2. Defiance xre with speedway, blackwatch 2, and grande 3. $80.00 a bag.
3. "Top Choice" tall fescue from co-op $80.00 a bag. Seems like a real fine slow grower. Alliance seeds..?

Also plan on double core aeration, seeding,, then slice seeding it with one pass into the soil. Starter fertilizer and lime. My question is after that do I use Tenacity on the bare soil? Or wait until the grass has germinated for a couple weeks?
Speedway is one of the best fescues for the transition zone. See if you can get a bag of 100% Speedway. I think I have a picture of my Speedway reno 2 years ago.



Yep, I do. 30 days post renovation.

No need to core aerate at all. Just scalp, dethatch, broadcast the seed and cover with peat moss or grass clippings. Tenacity get sprayed right on top of the seed on the bare soil. I'd recommend spraying propiconazole right along with it to protect against fungus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
g-man said:
I would spend the money in good seed. Long-term you will save money with less headaches (is. getting rid of poa trivia).
Wow that's some beautiful fescue. Thanks for the help gman I may just run on up to Hogan's in Nashville and get all speedway. So what did you put on after 30 days? Tenacity? Even though you do it at seeding?
 

·
Administrator
5.6ksqft Bewitched KBG in Fishers, IN
Joined
·
15,319 Posts
Tenacity could be applied to the soil(prevent weeds) and as a foliar (kill weeds but not the young grass).

Therefore apply it at seed down and after germination until you could switch to common herbicides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Vols_fan08 said:
g-man said:
I would spend the money in good seed. Long-term you will save money with less headaches (is. getting rid of poa trivia).
Wow that's some beautiful fescue. Thanks for the help gman I may just run on up to Hogan's in Nashville and get all speedway. So what did you put on after 30 days? Tenacity? Even though you do it at seeding?
I had to have Speedway special ordered directly from SRO. If Hogan has it or can order it for you, please let me know I want to buy some as well. Last year I couldn't get any because the entire crop had been badly contaminated with weed seed.

The Tenacity at seeding should hold the fort for 30 days. Don't spray Tenacity as post-emergent on fescue it will bleach real bad, KBG is far more tolerant. By the time you get to 30 days you should be close to being able to use regular herbicide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
What's up, Vols_fan08. We're probably not far from one another, as I live 1-2 hours from Nashvegas.
I know of the First Choice seed you mention, but so far I have not been able to learn much about it. I've used the 19-19-19 fertilizer from the coop several times. It is reasonably priced.
I will be purchasing seed from Hogan's as well this fall. I don't see Speedway listed on their website, but hopefully they can order it for you.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong: Should he not aim for 3 cultivars, especially given the fungal susceptibility of fescue in the region?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
social port said:
What's up, Vols_fan08. We're probably not far from one another, as I live 1-2 hours from Nashvegas.
I know of the First Choice seed you mention, but so far I have not been able to learn much about it. I've used the 19-19-19 fertilizer from the coop several times. It is reasonably priced.
I will be purchasing seed from Hogan's as well this fall. I don't see Speedway listed on their website, but hopefully they can order it for you.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong: Should he not aim for 3 cultivars, especially given the fungal susceptibility of fescue in the region?
Thats why I wandered if the trio seed from Burlingham would be better for fungus. I personally think the seed from co op is crap. I like their fert and lime though. I'm in Lawrenceburg area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
j4c11 said:
Vols_fan08 said:
g-man said:
I would spend the money in good seed. Long-term you will save money with less headaches (is. getting rid of poa trivia).
Wow that's some beautiful fescue. Thanks for the help gman I may just run on up to Hogan's in Nashville and get all speedway. So what did you put on after 30 days? Tenacity? Even though you do it at seeding?
I had to have Speedway special ordered directly from SRO. If Hogan has it or can order it for you, please let me know I want to buy some as well. Last year I couldn't get any because the entire crop had been badly contaminated with weed seed.

The Tenacity at seeding should hold the fort for 30 days. Don't spray Tenacity as post-emergent on fescue it will bleach real bad, KBG is far more tolerant. By the time you get to 30 days you should be close to being able to use regular herbicide.
Thanks I'll let you know what they say. Just out of curiosity how much was it when you ordered it from SRO a bag?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Vols_fan08 said:
Thanks I'll let you know what they say. Just out of curiosity how much was it when you ordered it from SRO a bag?
I went through SeedSuperStore, Drew was kind enough to order it for me. It was the same as the other cultivars he stocks, so you're looking at about $180 for 50lbs if you use him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
j4c11 said:
Vols_fan08 said:
Thanks I'll let you know what they say. Just out of curiosity how much was it when you ordered it from SRO a bag?
I went through SeedSuperStore, Drew was kind enough to order it for me. It was the same as the other cultivars he stocks, so you're looking at about $180 for 50lbs if you use him.
Wow that's pretty expensive for round here. My cousin gets speedway and Grande 3 in Knoxville at a nursery for 100 a bag. But online shopping is what it is...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Vols_fan08 said:
Wow that's pretty expensive for round here. My cousin gets speedway and Grande 3 in Knoxville at a nursery for 100 a bag. But online shopping is what it is...
SSS is probably the most expensive place to buy seed, but it had to be special ordered and whatnot, there was none around me. I have located another online source, we'll see what the price, he is working on ordering it from SRO. Fescue seed is being harvested right now, so it should be fresh off the field :thumbup:

Oh, if you can find seed, buy it now. Don't linger too long, stocks are about to quickly get depleted as fall approaches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So that brings up another question I have since Fall is approaching. What is everyone's opinion on transition zone seeding for TTTF. They day late summer early fall. I know here in southern middle Tennessee in early September it is still super hot and dry it seems these past few years. Still stick with around first week of September? Or actually wait until the first week of fall? Heck even October here doesn't feel like fall anymore 😤
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
I seeded first week of September last year, they forecasted nice 70s and rain and it ended up being in the 90s for a couple weeks straight with no rain. Of course, that meant heavy watering, which in turn meant heavy fungus, which wiped out my entire renovation. Moral of the story:

- Wait for the weather to actually cool off, so probably 2nd or 3rd week of September.
- Weather forecasts beyond the next 2 days are pretty much useless.
- Apply fungicide at seeding time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,824 Posts
Use your judgment. The earlier you seed the more growth it can get in before winter. However if the weather is super hot, the seed will dry out quickly. TTTF germinates a lot faster than KBG and, if Tennessee is like Virginia, November has plenty of growing days. So you can afford to wait if it's still really hot. The seed will like the warm soil. Keeping the seed moist is the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
I will be prepared to reseed anytime after September 1st. However, I don't think I'll actually do it until at least mid September. Last year we had maybe three days of very light rain for the whole month. I recall temperature highs ranging from the mid 80s to upper 90s.
So I have an adaptive plan: reseed between 9/15-9/30 unless we have sustained cooler temperatures before then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
social port said:
I will be prepared to reseed anytime after September 1st. However, I don't think I'll actually do it until at least mid September. Last year we had maybe three days of very light rain for the whole month. I recall temperature highs ranging from the mid 80s to upper 90s.
So I have an adaptive plan: reseed between 9/15-9/30 unless we have sustained cooler temperatures before then.
I agree with you on the middle of September. Last year was horrible and dry. You could light a match in Tennessee and the whole state would burn. It seems like the summer came late this year as far as temps. So I figure the fall temps will be pushed back a little.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay guys need some opinions. I've got the yard killed and scalped for the most part. Still trying to get these Bermuda patches killed. I've got some low spots that need leveled with topsoil. I can get screened topsoil easily. Here's my worry about topsoil around here... Will it have Bermuda seed in it? After spending all this time erradicating what I already have then bringing it back in! What are yalls thoughts? Should I just till what I have here and try to level or take a chance on new weed seed?
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top