Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of purchasing the McLane 17" 10 Blade push reel soon. Since I only have 1800 sq ft, I dont need a powered reel at this point. After extensive research over the last month or so, the McLane seems like the best push reel out there. Am I missing any others? Has anyone used a McLane push reel before?

Somewhat unrelated question - My bermuda sod is less than one year old. Should I be conservative on HOC until next season? What would be the lowest HOC recommended for a lawn as young as mine? Is this a valid concern? Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Red, I'd be interested in Fiskars, but lowest HOC is 1". Looked into Brill as well but I'm pretty sure I could only find 5 Blade models.

Jayhawk, I seriously considered going with great states/American lawn mower/etc (all same manufacturer), but after seeing a lot of mixed reviews online I decided that it'd be better to invest more into a product I know will be a long term solution. That's why I've landed on either the McLane or a Mascot mower. I also saw Trucut makes a manual reel. Looks very similar to the mascot.

Thanks for the input fellas!

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I would suggest the long term solution to be a used or new powered mclane reel. I do realize that you have a small space but you will not be disappointed if you go that route. I am not sure what you will pay for a manual mclane but a used powered one can be had for like $200 if you look and are patient. I just sold mine for $50 but it needed some serious love IMO. Could possibly be even less than $200. I think you will also be happier with the cut of a gas powered machine.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi there ATLawn,

I'm also near ATL and have a smallish yard. I'm currently using the Great States 7-blade. Let me ask, how level is your yard?

I have a semi-level yard with a bunch of small bumps. On anything other than flat land, the manual reel obviously becomes harder....pushing is not the problem. The problem is that if the blades are not turning extremely fast, the blades will pull the grass out out. The result is little grass sprigs all over your yard. Last year I was even looking to buy a lawn sweeper or vacuum it was so bad. Ultimately the answer was to go over the yard with the rotary after for its suction action. A powered reel obviously won't have that problem. Sharpening the blades helped but it didn't 100% solve the problem.

If you don't have a flat yard then the manual reel will bump up and down, resulting in a less than perfect cut. It prevents scalping to an extent but then you have a bumpy grass blanket. The powered reel is much heavier than most all manual reels. The weight is a double edged sword...gives a flat cut but scalps bumps. My plan is to get a powered reel with rollers.

I wouldn't recommend the Fiskars for bermuda. It won't go low enough and 5 blades just isn't enough for bermuda.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up finding a 20" 10 Blade self-propelled McLane on Craigslist and brought it home today! Thanks for everyone's advice that pushed me towards making the right decision.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,863 Posts
ATLawn said:
I ended up finding a 20" 10 Blade self-propelled McLane on Craigslist and brought it home today! Thanks for everyone's advice that pushed me towards making the right decision.
Congrats - I think you made a wise choice. :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.