Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to the low cut Bermuda world, and learning new things about maintaining a low cut lawn weekly. However Oftentimes find myself lost in the acronyms:

Bench HOC
Actual HOC
OM

And a few others that I do not fully understand. I know HOC means height of cut - but what is bench HOC vs actual HOC?

Was just reading thread on Soil Management and it means almost nothing, because the acronym OM is used extensively in several post, but I have no idea what that means.

So, with that in mind, is there a possibility that a thread can be created with FAQ or Glossary created and posted at the top of perhaps the General Discussion forum?

I am pretty sure there are others in the same boat - I am probably just the first to ask in a thread created expressly for that purpose.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
OM= Organic Matter
Bench HOC= The HOC you set while it's in the garage or wherever
Actual HOC= The HOC of the grass after you actually mow the lawn. Depending on the condition of your turf your HOC may actually be higher or lower than your bench HOC.

Does that clear it up a little? If not please let me know and I can explain more if needed. :)

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
Topcat said:
So I am new to the low cut Bermuda world, and learning new things about maintaining a low cut lawn weekly. However Oftentimes find myself lost in the acronyms:

Bench HOC
Actual HOC
OM

And a few others that I do not fully understand. I know HOC means height of cut - but what is bench HOC vs actual HOC?

Was just reading thread on Soil Management and it means almost nothing, because the acronym OM is used extensively in several post, but I have no idea what that means.

So, with that in mind, is there a possibility that a thread can be created with FAQ or Glossary created and posted at the top of perhaps the General Discussion forum?

I am pretty sure there are others in the same boat - I am probably just the first to ask in a thread created expressly for that purpose.

Thoughts?
Good idea. I can create glossary thread in the Articles & FAQs subforum. I'll start with these three and will add to it as folks request.

HOC Bench: Height of cut as measured with something like an Accu-Gage in the garage/shop. This is the actual distance between the tip of the bedknife and the bottom of the rollers/drum.

HOC Effective/Actual: The actual height of cut when mowing - which is usually different than the bench HOC due to factors such as the weight of the mower and turf conditions (more or less thatch, etc). Effective HOC can also be influenced by the equipment setup - traditional vs floating head mower, grooved vs smooth roller, etc. Effective HOC can be measured with a Prism-Gage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef95Qe2mKgM​

OM= Organic Matter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.