Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on this forum!

So about three years ago I got my first exposure to Bermuda grass. I was not a fan at all having cared for a tall fescue yard in Charlotte, NC for about 12 years prior. I evaluated my choices and even got quotes on ripping up the sod at our new construction and getting rid of this grass. It looked awful and I was embarrassed by our lawn.

My wife suggested I just try to work with what we had and see if I can make it look better - and if it didn't work then maybe the following year we could look into switching out.

Well I stumbled upon many different forums and little by little it started clicking. Last year I was the talk of the neighborhood with my lawn and everyone was asking what I was doing. Some even asked if I still had the same sod! I did this all with my trusty Honda HRX 217 mower.

Armed with my newfound experience I decided to up the ante this year...I bought a Toro Greensmaster 1000 mower and just used it yesterday for the first time. I did have to scalp the lawn with the rotary first so it's not the prettiest of sights yet. But I can see that this mower is going to help make this lawn as good as it can be. I won't go as low as you guys yet and will try to maintain at 1" if possible.

Can't wait until things start greening up again and my lawn begins to look like carpet!

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,473 Posts
Welcome fp911!!! Can't wait to see how it turns out too!!

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,863 Posts
Welcome to TLF! I'm glad you found us! I think you will recognize a lot of familiar names. Speaking of familiar, seeing that photo I remember your lawn! I'm glad the bermuda is working out for you. I have an HRX 217 and it is a great mower, but the GM1000 is going to take it to the next level for you - get ready because you're about to 'shock and awe' your neighborhood. :thumbup:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I did recognize quite a few names here so figured I'd feel right at home.

As for this lawn thing, trying not to turn it into an obsession but it is kind of fun and a great way to meet neighbors since they keep stopping by asking what I'm doing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.