Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I mowed realy short. The third setting, which cuts at about 3 cm, roughly 1 and 1/4 of an inch, and it looks messy. I did not obey the 1/3 rule. I will cut again at this hight next time and see if it looks any better.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
I think it all depends on what the temperatures are in your area. I can't imagine it getting too hot in Slovenia but you never know.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Mightyquinn we have mix of alpine and mediteranean climate. It gets hot, but not too hot.
average high and low for my region.

@Ridgerunner I am cutting it lower, because we have kids running around, and I don't like brojen/bent grass. One part of the lawn likes the lower cut, but a part which I usually cut longer is not happy and went from looking like a 9 to a 7.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
ales_gantar said:
@Mightyquinn we have mix of alpine and mediteranean climate. It gets hot, but not too hot.
average high and low for my region.

@Ridgerunner I am cutting it lower, because we have kids running around, and I don't like brojen/bent grass. One part of the lawn likes the lower cut, but a part which I usually cut longer is not happy and went from looking like a 9 to a 7.
Thanks for the chart :thumbup: Yeah, it doesn't really get too hot where you are compared to where I live :lol: Your high temps in July are what our average temps are right now.

I'm no cool season grass expert buy I would wait until after August to seed as your weather seems to start cooling down around then. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in with some advice!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
if you have the means to water it then I'd go for it.. those temps aren't anything crazy, we got to over 90 for a few days and my spring reno is fine.

IMO the wait till a calendar date thing a certain forum pushes (while scolding people who use calendars in other areas) is a bit silly. the only real issue is watering. if you can water it then you can do it..

Now in my YouTube videos I'll always say wait till fall because the majority watching just google real quick for an answer (some even ask if they have to water lol) But people at TLF generally research way more and are willing to do a lot more. So take the challenge and go for it ;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can water.
In my experience seeding in heat results in poor germination, due to, as I have learned now, lack of water, but is far better then not seeding, because the you have weeds that don't watch the weather forecast and don't realy care about optimal conditions. :D
Plan:
1. Level as soon as can,
2. seed,
3. water
4. apply fertilizer
5. overseed in late august if needed.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
GrassDaddy said:
the only real issue is watering. if you can water it then you can do it..
Frequent water + heat = fungus. That's how I nuked my reno last fall, when it was 90s early September. Couldn't stop watering because it was hot and roots were shallow, couldn't stop the fungus because the lawn was always wet. Bad situation, even with heavy fungicides, couldn't save it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good info.
Any experience on using iron to harden it during this weak period?
Damn I hope I don't sound stupid right now.

j4c11 said:
GrassDaddy said:
the only real issue is watering. if you can water it then you can do it..
Frequent water + heat = fungus. That's how I nuked my reno last fall, when it was 90s early September. Couldn't stop watering because it was hot and roots were shallow, couldn't stop the fungus because the lawn was always wet. Bad situation, even with heavy fungicides, couldn't save it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
ales_gantar said:
Good info.
Not at all. I'm not aware of any benefits of iron on newly germinated grass. You have one thing going for you, Perennial Ryegrass is more fungus resistant that other grasses. You also have one thing going against you - rygrasses don't like heat. If you have seed on hand doesn't hurt to try it - if it fails you'll be no worse off than had you not tried at all.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Last tear I had chlorosis and iron fixed it fast. I also read that iron is suppose to "harden up the grass" so I guess that iron helps. It's a guess.I'll spray it and see if it turns darker, which would be great.
j4c11 said:
ales_gantar said:
Good info.
Not at all. I'm not aware of any benefits of iron on newly germinated grass. You have one thing going for you, Perennial Ryegrass is more fungus resistant that other grasses. You also have one thing going against you - rygrasses don't like heat. If you have seed on hand doesn't hurt to try it - if it fails you'll be no worse off than had you not tried at all.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I must have mowed this part of the lawn too low and disn't water as needed. A part looks good and a part of it looks bad. We are having a dry hot period. I raised the blade 2cm to 7 cm (3 inches), aplied soap to break surface tension, fertilized wih an organic fertilizer (3x recomended rate:) and watered. And I need to sharpen the blade.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.