Lawn Care Forum banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
New thread made for the DIY version: https://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14949

Start with one of these. They're only $40-$50 new and you can find them on CL or FB for $20-$30. This is almost EXACTLY like one of the leveling rakes, just with legs and more cross pieces.

Drill out rivets, remove the legs and take out every other cross piece.

Make up a simple bracket like pictured.

I already had the work platform and I didn't use it very often. I also had an extra broom handle. So, I'm in this for literally $0. Even if you had to buy a few items, you could buy all new and still only be in it for $40-$60....less than half the price of the ready made guys. Almost everything is there from the get-go work platform, it's a perfect for the conversion!

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Everyone's expectations are a little different, but I think the screw heads dragging through the sand and the end sections being on a lower plane would drive me crazy.

It also looks like sand would tend to spill over and accumulate inside the channels of the interior slats - they don't look very thick/tall.

This is the bottom of the R&R rake:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Nothing is proud of another by more than 3/32". I threw the idea around of welding it, but decided that this is for leveling a grass yard with sand on top of dirt, not for verifying the true flatness a granite surface plate. It works great, very sturdy and is corrosion resistant all while being extremely cost effective.

If spending 300% more for something that gives you a 1% more "level" surface is worth it to you, then that's up to you. It's diy vs factory made.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This thread is great. I am wanting to do this to my st Augustine but typically I see the done to shorter grass types. Is it crazy to try to do this to this type of grass? I keep it at 4" or more the way the thing grows. Honestly I did not care for it well the first few years in the house and now it is looking okay on top but soooooo many dips the mower bounces like a bucking bronco!

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Gilley11 said:
Ware , I made a new thread to clean this up and not clutter yours. Want to delete the diy?
No, maybe just edit your post above and add a link over to that thread. That way people can find it if they land here first. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 36" arrived today, I'm not sure if they forgot to include something but I feel like there should be bolts or cotter pins to attach the handle to the head. The torsion wingnut stabilizes but does nothing to keep it in place. Also there's holes in the bracket but not the pole, do I need to DIY this portion?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ribido said:
My 36" arrived today, I'm not sure if they forgot to include something but I feel like there should be bolts or cotter pins to attach the handle to the head. The torsion wingnut stabilizes but does nothing to keep it in place. Also there's holes in the bracket but not the pole, do I need to DIY this portion?
Just received mine too and wondering the same thing. Does you add any extra bolts to the 2 holes on the bracket?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the 36” R&R rake and it was really nice, but ultimately I found for my yard a push broom worked better. I have a fairly steeply sloped KBG northern lawn and only needed to fill some low spots that were collecting water. If you are in Fairfield county CT and looking for this rake, DM me and it’s yours.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts