Lawn Care Forum banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
cnet24 said:
My 36" rake came in today but was damaged. The packaging for the handle broke, leaving it exposed and it looks like the handle was almost smashed and broken in half:

Also, I was disappointed at the quality of the finish of the actual rake. It's almost like the finishing coat was missed in the production process. I have seen others with a nice green painted finish-to me for the cost of the product and what I received was a little disappointing:

I do plan to get in touch with R&R tomorrow to discuss these issues. Has anyone dealt with returns with them before? I was hoping to be able to do a leveling project this weekend and wondering if they can send me a replacement rather quickly.
That's bogus, I just got mine, haven't opened it yet. Guess I should check it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
UFG8RMIKE said:
5' x 3' drag mat for that area?

I have 2k sq ft and just purchased the 36" level rake from R&R. Now, I just need to find suitable coarse sand and time to do it.
I have 3k sq ft to level. I'm hoping the drag mat makes the job a bit quicker than raking it in. I have long strips on the sides of my house where I think it will really shine. I have a smaller rake already for edges and around landscaping & trees.

If it doesn't work out I can return it to amazon and get the level rake. Plus I'll get the mat this week, with the level rake from R&R it would be sometime next week.

·
Registered
153 Posts
T0R0 said:
UFG8RMIKE said:

I have 2k sq ft and just purchased the 36" level rake from R&R. Now, I just need to find suitable coarse sand and time to do it.
I have 3k sq ft to level. I'm hoping the drag mat makes the job a bit quicker than raking it in. I have long strips on the sides of my house where I think it will really shine. I have a smaller rake already for edges and around landscaping & trees.

If it doesn't work out I can return it to amazon and get the level rake. Plus I'll get the mat this week, with the level rake from R&R it would be sometime next week.
So I wound up ordering the 36" leveling rake from R&R. I would say it does a great job at getting smaller areas perfect but the drag mat is faster at leveling a large area. I have been using the rake to level out small dips left after I drag the area.

·
Registered
153 Posts
UFG8RMIKE said:
Well, I just opened mine and it's the same, no nice powder coated finish as advertised.

I think you'll be happy it's coated metal and not powder coated or painted. My 36" leveling rake was just delivered today and I put it to use and I'm sure I would have some missing paint or scratches on the finish already. Run it along your concrete driveway once and it would be scratched.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My 36 inch leveling rake arrived earlier this week. :mrgreen:

The handle arrived separate from the head and mine had some damage. I called R&R and they sent me a new handle right away which arrived today. The rake head was also not powder coated as others have noted, which doesn't bother me, but it does look different from the product online.

So far I'm a big fan of my new toy, I mean tool, and it should serve me well for years to come. I was really appreciative of the quick and easy response of R&R in regard to the handle issue. :thumbup:

Thanks for the review of this product @Ware , much easier than my old rake and push broom method.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Anyone know if they are having issues with supply on these? I am going to be leveling next weekend and spoke with a member on here yesterday who was picking up some CarbonX from me and he said he had placed an order over a month ago and nothing.

I leveled last year with a zero turn and drag mat that was loaned to me and finished it off with that landscape rake that was shown on this thread earlier. It did a reasonably good job and I am cutting the front at .50" now with no scalping but there are some small grooves and dips etc. Would this be the best tool to try and get it perfectly flat? Also thought about buying a drag mat but im just doing the front now so its only about 2500sq ft and am looking for precision more than volume moved.

Plan is to scalp to .25" and try and get it as close to perfect as possible so I can try and set the HOC next year to .375". Below is the current state at .5"

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Jimefam said:
Anyone know if they are having issues with supply on these? I am going to be leveling next weekend and spoke with a member on here yesterday who was picking up some CarbonX from me and he said he had placed an order over a month ago and nothing.

I leveled last year with a zero turn and drag mat that was loaned to me and finished it off with that landscape rake that was shown on this thread earlier. It did a reasonably good job and I am cutting the front at .50" now with no scalping but there are some small grooves and dips etc. Would this be the best tool to try and get it perfectly flat? Also thought about buying a drag mat but im just doing the front now so its only about 2500sq ft and am looking for precision more than volume moved.

Plan is to scalp to .25" and try and get it as close to perfect as possible so I can try and set the HOC next year to .375". Below is the current state at .5"

Great start so far... Why or how did you decide on the .375" HOC?

·
Registered
484 Posts
ctrav said:
Jimefam said:

Thank you I see tons of imperfections but I am happy with how its been progressing. No real reason other then i have cut it at 1" then .75" then .5" and every time i have gone down i have liked the look better and it seems to get thicker and greener. Im sure that wont continue indefinitely but the next mark down on my mower is .375" so i figured i would give that a try and see if the lawn likes it and if I like the look. If not easy enough to let it grow back up to .5" which I really like and with the PGR doesnt seem that hard to maintain.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Jimefam said:
ctrav said:
Jimefam said:

Thank you I see tons of imperfections but I am happy with how its been progressing. No real reason other then i have cut it at 1" then .75" then .5" and every time i have gone down i have liked the look better and it seems to get thicker and greener. Im sure that wont continue indefinitely but the next mark down on my mower is .375" so i figured i would give that a try and see if the lawn likes it and if I like the look. If not easy enough to let it grow back up to .5" which I really like and with the PGR doesnt seem that hard to maintain.
Seems like sound reasoning to me. I started with my rotary mower at 1.5" and then 1". Bought a reel mower and went down to 3/4" and I'm still there. I want to go to 1/2" but I have not leveled yet so there is a fear of scalping. Part of me says wait until next year to go down lower when I can afford to sand level but the other part keeps saying go for it now 😎

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am going to .25" before leveling which i KNOW is going to basically hit dirt in a few spots buti think that will give me the best base to level and i figure if .375" is too low or looks bad it will fix itself in short order and i can just pop it back up to .5". Experimenting is half the fun.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
T0R0 said:
T0R0 said:
UFG8RMIKE said:

So I wound up ordering the 36" leveling rake from R&R. I would say it does a great job at getting smaller areas perfect but the drag mat is faster at leveling a large area. I have been using the rake to level out small dips left after I drag the area.
I used my 36: rake to level my entire front - about 850 square feet. I loved the way the rake worked and could not believe how easy it made the leveling work. Could not have been happier.

I actually preferred the 36" to the larger one to keep the weight down.

·
Registered
402 Posts
holdenorama said:
Do you think the 48" leveling rake be drag-able behind a mower?
No, I don't think you want to use it that way. You could drag it around maybe but its not built for that its too light for the job. In hand its nice due to the light weight but that makes it a poor choice for pulling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
cnet24 said:
My 36" rake came in today but was damaged. The packaging for the handle broke, leaving it exposed and it looks like the handle was almost smashed and broken in half:

Also, I was disappointed at the quality of the finish of the actual rake. It's almost like the finishing coat was missed in the production process. I have seen others with a nice green painted finish-to me for the cost of the product and what I received was a little disappointing:

Can you flip it over and post a picture of the bottom? Are the cross bars all level or are the two inside cross bars offset higher?
Thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
1k9 said:
cnet24 said:

Can you flip it over and post a picture of the bottom? Are the cross bars all level or are the two inside cross bars offset higher?
Thanks
All of the square tubing on these are level with each other.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts