Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned using my 48" Leveling Rake from R&R Products here, but wanted to dedicate a thread to it and share some video footage of it in action.

It is available in 3 sizes:

They also offer a slightly different variant:

• 28" Flip Over Level Rake, #RP7433

The 48" comes with two handles - a 72" fiberglass pole handle and a metal tee handle that attaches/hinges on the outer brackets. It's easier to stabilize some of the torsion of the 48" head with the tee handle, but I prefer the fiberglass handle because it is easier to pick up the whole thing and move it around or change directions. I think the tee handle is only included with the 48" model.

I've used it a few times now, and it does a really good job of working sand down into the canopy/low spots. If you've ever tried to use a regular landscaping rake to work sand into the turf, you'll immediately notice this thing doesn't give you "the bounce". The wide head acts as a nice plane to level the ground with the surrounding area. I went with the widest one because I felt like it would probably produce the best results over the long haul, but the sacrifice is maneuverability in tight places.

I had just verticut the lawn prior to shooting the video, but hopefully it will give you an idea of how it works. Let me know if I missed anything. :thumbup:

· Administrator
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Buddy said:
Just wondering if anyone has experience with the 28" flip over level rake? I'm considering the purchase of either the 28" flip over or the 36" level rake.
Welcome to TLF!

I looked close at that 28" one. I don't think you could go wrong with it or the 36".

· Administrator
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Jt7788 said:
Hi all, really need a rake like this one, but has anyone found it elsewhere? I haven't been able to find it in Canada. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
You might search "levelawn rake" and see what vendors you come up with.

· Administrator
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
NoslracNevok said:
What are the benefits of this over the flat side of a landscape rake like this?
I use a landscape rake like that to knock down my piles/distribute sand, but my experience has been that it tends to bounce when attempting to use it for final smoothing.

· Administrator
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Wfrobinette said:
Any reason why I shouldn't use this for 5k of yard vs a drag mat. I'm tired of have those use 1 or twice tools around the garage.

I figure once I get this lawn leveled it will be touch up work long term. I
Tough call. I think you could go either way.

· Administrator
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Clover13 said:
Ware , did you leave the sand like it was in the picture below, and the grass grew OK through it? I don't see any tips of grass showing in some of those areas, so I would have thought that was "too much" sand on top of the existing grass, but maybe not?

Definitely not too much sand for bermuda. :thumbsup:

· Administrator
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Everyone's expectations are a little different, but I think the screw heads dragging through the sand and the end sections being on a lower plane would drive me crazy.

It also looks like sand would tend to spill over and accumulate inside the channels of the interior slats - they don't look very thick/tall.

This is the bottom of the R&R rake:

· Administrator
12,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Gilley11 said:
Ware , I made a new thread to clean this up and not clutter yours. Want to delete the diy?
No, maybe just edit your post above and add a link over to that thread. That way people can find it if they land here first. :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts