Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reel mowing all year, put adequate fertilizer on and have sprayed PGR. I feel as though I'm not getting the results i want. The grass is not nearly as green as last year and it just looks like its struggling along. Any thoughts. :(

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
How much water has it been getting?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mightyquinn said:
How much water has it been getting?
Man we have been getting a ton of rain. It has been raining almost every day.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
What HOC are you at? How often have you been mowing?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm at 0.5". Since i put down TPAC i'm only having to mow every 5 days or so.

I'm curious if I've put too many chemicals on it. I sprayed the compost tea, milorganite, 28-0-0 and PGR on it. Plus I aerated.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
How long ago did you put all of this down? Can we get a close up pick of the lawn? How long have you been at .500"?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
i think you're ready for zoysia - won't need pgr and all the N :rofl:

could be too much pgr or even herbicide? I've seen first hand the effects of too much PGR. (i was lazy, used the sprayer brand's brass broadcast tip on a beauty strip) not only did it not grow but it was off color. Sounds like your weather has been like Atlanta's - daily thunderstorm.

How's the front been treating you?

·
Registered
859 Posts
jayhawk said:

could be too much pgr or even herbicide? I've seen first hand the effects of too much PGR. (i was lazy, used the sprayer brand's brass broadcast tip on a beauty strip) not only did it not grow but it was off color. Sounds like your weather has been like Atlanta's - daily thunderstorm.

How's the front been treating you?
Yes off color, that's why I commented.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Front is the same. I feel like i calculated the PGR correctly, but I could be wrong. I have an electronic Chapin with a Tee jet tip. I walked off 1k, filled it with water and sprayed out one gallon of water perfectly. Maybe a little more but not that much.
Should I apply some fertilizer, perhaps some ironite?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jayhawk said:

Believe me if I could afford it I would nuke the entire yard and start over. However, my wife would leave me. :nod:

·
Registered
573 Posts
When did you last fertilize? And you may know that Milorganite just reduced their iron content from 4% to, I believe 2.5%. They claim it doesn't make a difference but so far I believe it does make it less effective for quick, deep greening.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for the late response.
I fertilized right after i aerated...3 weeks ago. That was immediately followed by PGR.
MQ: here are close up pics.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
I'm no fungus expert but I'm kind of leaning towards that too. Those brown leaf blades are really abundant.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
J_nick said:
With all those brown blades it makes me think fungus.

Do you see the black dots in the leaf blades in the middle of the picture? That's leaf spot, while early in its life leaf spot isn't a major concern once it gets to the "melting out" stage you start getting brown blades. Do you see the leaf spot all throughout the lawn?
I didn't even notice the black dots until you said something. The entire yard is 1/2 brown. I'm really hesitant to spray my yard yet again with more chemicals.
What do you think I should do here?
The grass hasn't grown at all which made me think i put to much PGR on it, but fungus makes sense.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mightyquinn said:
Those brown leaf blades are really abundant.
At first I thought it was because I was cutting it so much. Now, not so sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.