Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, my name is Bryan I am new to the site. I found this site from watching youtube, the grassdaddy page. I have an issue with my lawn, it is thinning out is some spots and my backyard is slowly diminishing. I noticed when I mowed the past couple of years moths would fly around, I thought it was no big deal until I started researching.
Last year I over seeded my backyard and it came in real nice towards the end of the season. This year almost all of it did not make it over the winter and the one good area has a ton of moths. I also have some random weeds in the yard. I want to take care of this situation tomorrow, I have already purchased the insect control and have celsius on hand. Can I apply this insect control and throw down some weed killer too? The reason I ask is because the temps are supposed to be in the 80's tomorrow.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Most on this site will advise to spray Celsius (because temp doesn't matter with it). However you can't do some things (like seed within a certain time frame). Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but lawn moths signal grub worms to me. I apply grubex 1-2x per season for those.

I've generally had good results mowing low and then spraying with something like spectracide for weeds. Just applied Celsius today for first time because the only weed I have is crabgrass...and it's too hot for other herbicides.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
Yes, you can put down the Celsius and the insecticide at the same time and you should do no harm but you might want to wait between the applications as I am pretty sure the insecticide needs to be watered in and the Celsius works best if it can sit on the weeds for at least an hour if not longer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a bunch of these moths as well. I sprayed w Crosscheck (A.I. Bifenthrin) & it knocked em down about 3 days. They came back just as strong. Put down Crosscheck granules about 1 month later & still no luck.

Does grubex work well? Anybody have any recommendations?

What do y'all use to knock these moths out?

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
You probably need to use something with Imidacloprid in it to kill the larvae that's in the soil. Bifenthrin will just kill the "living" bugs.

Grubex should do the trick for you though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.