We did a full renovation in late 2017 (late September / early October)to expand our lawn to our lot line. We had many large ash and pine in a wooded lot area. The lawn was always an afterthought as it had been in horrible shape when we purchased the house. I occasionally would put the Scotts weed and feed products and expect miracles, which never came.
After removing the trees we had a local lawn service level the area (many loads of fill and topsoil brought in) and seed. It was thin in the fall but came on strong this spring. The area inside the fence was not renovated (see all the clover). This was the best area of my lawn hostorically. The area to the upper left (after a 3' drop off) is my neighbors lawn which is maintained by the same lawn service. Ive never paid for lawn service - and had the ughly lawn in the area. But complete domination is coming....
Since becoming lawn enlightened (or on my way at least) I've gotten on the "hybrid organic plan" for cool season lawns. I've thrown down started feet (with a pre pre emergent) in the spring. 2 applications of Milo. And put down grub control in June.
Overall I've been happy with the results. Though I'm now frustrated with myself as I never specified seed type for the Reno - and now wish I done used ***. Instead I have a lean of PRG. I'm sure I'll learn to live my PRG - but I will always lust for a *** lawn.
There are large areas of lime green grass. Any idea what that may be? My contractor (over the phone) suggested the need for lime. I admittedly haven't tested as I assumed the tops soil I purchased must be "perfect". I applied some lime in early June - and waiting to see the results. I'll do more lime serious in the fall. (I know in our area we typically can assume the need for lime in spring and fall).
I believe there may be more going on than simply the lime. Possibly the fill/topsoil was of bad quality or was not spread evenly. Or possibly tree roots still underground may be causing some issues. Lastly, while we tried to level the lawn - there is still a slope all the way from the rock wall to the house. There was just to much of a drop off to make things truest level. Actually I'm a little disappointed with that result - but will have to deal with it. I may try to use sand to level a few areas more over time.
Note: front lawn (not renovated) has other issues which I'll post about another time.