Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, I always see YouTube videos of people's lawns and posts on the internet of lawns under 10,000 square feet, so I was thinking how about people with lawns my size 45,000 sf or bigger?
So this is how I take care of mine, 20-25 bags of Milorganite spread in late April then three 50lb bags of starter fertilizer. I mow below three inches until temps reach 80* then I go 3.25-3.50 until summer then it's 4 inches. I water some but stretching 250 feet of hose sucks. I'll apply another dose of Milorganite in June before temps start pushing 90 for the summer. This year I applied some pre emergent so I didn't dethatch but come fall ill overseed and aerate. Also I deal with a rust fungus so I'll have to put something down for that come late summer early fall. So how do you take care of your lawn and what do you use?

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,863 Posts
Welcome to The Lawn Forum! Glad you're here!

So you and Pete1313 probably have the largest cool season lawns here on TLF. I think MrMeaner has the largest warm season lawn. I really respect the magnitude of what you guys are dealing with, and I think it's safe to say we'd all love to hear more about your regimen, see some pics, and even some YouTube videos! :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
Bewitched KBG (38k sqft)
2,328 Posts
Welcome Hoosierlawn!

I moved into my new home about a year ago which has a larger lawn than any other property I've owned. The property is 1.25 acres with 38K sq ft being turf and 7.5K sq ft mulch beds. I am finding it is quite an adjustment for me. My previous home had only 4.3K sq ft of turf. One thing I have found is it doesn't take much more time to manage the large lawn as it did the small yard. Mowing takes about 45-60min vs 30min, spraying takes about 75min vs 60min start to finish. Equipment is the main difference. Upgrading from a 22in cut to 62in cut mower, from a 4gal single nozzle sprayer to a 25gal 5 nozzle, and from an earthway spreader to a spyker have helped keep times down.

Irrigation and the products/frequency you apply are two big differences In a larger yard. For me, figuring out the irrigation was high priority since I want to renovate from a northern mix to an elite bluegrass. Dragging around hoses like i did on the smaller yard is not going to work on a larger property. I had to have the well pump upgraded from a 3/4hp to a 1.5hp constant pressure unit. Luckily the home had a 25 yr old irrigation system that was installed by the first homeowners (but was not used in the last 10 yrs by the second owners). I was able to reconfigure and save that system so it would perform the way I wanted. You don't need to water, but realize that your expectations need to be less if you cannot irrigate properly.

This year is a renovation year, so the budget and the products I apply will be different from other years. I am finding that I pay closer attention to the costs of products and how much I put down. Trading out an app of milorganite for some urea is a budget(and back) saver. As much as I would like to put down 2x bag rate of milorganite, putting down 1500 lbs of product is quite a chore. I do see some benefit in milo, but not all spring and summer like I did previously.

Generic primo maxx mixed with FAS(ferrous sulfate and ammonium sulfate) has been a favorite of mine so far on the existing lawn and will continue to be after i renovate. The color it provides and the reduction in mowing are great. It required me being able to come up with a solution to quickly and accurately precision spray a large yard. Using a mounted sprayer, adding a pressure regulator, adding a speedometer to the tractor, and making a 5 nozzle teejet boom have made me feel very comfortable spraying.

Overall I think how I will manage it in upcoming years compared to the smaller yard can relate to how a superintendent manages a fairway as compared to a putting green. There are things that need to be done to make it look great, but due to its size and the time and money involved, certain things that I was able to do on the smaller property are not practical on the larger property.

·
Administrator
12,863 Posts
Pete1313 said:
...how a superintendent manages a fairway as compared to a putting green. There are things that need to be done to make it look great, but due to its size and the time and money involved, certain things that I was able to do on the smaller property are not practical on the larger property.
Great analogy. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Ware said:
Pete1313 said:
...how a superintendent manages a fairway as compared to a putting green. There are things that need to be done to make it look great, but due to its size and the time and money involved, certain things that I was able to do on the smaller property are not practical on the larger property.
Great analogy. :thumbup:
Yeah I totally agree. I would like to use Milo but its really not cost effective for me on a large lawn. I would rather save my money for a triplex.

·
Administrator
12,863 Posts
mic drop: an instance of deliberately dropping or tossing aside one's microphone at the end of a performance or speech one considers to have been particularly impressive.
Any post that ends with the word "triplex" is particularly impressive. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can usually find Milo for 5.99 a bag but still it adds up. Im always looking for new ways to not spend money on my hobby. I am going to start a new youtube channel about my lawn so people that have large lawns can see what I go thru and what I use. Ive been taking videos and pictures but Im letting them stockpile before I make a video. And like I said if anyone has ideas on saving money please pass it along, my wife rolls her eyes when I say the lawn isn't good enough and not were I want it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pete1313 said:
Generic primo maxx mixed with FAS(ferrous sulfate and ammonium sulfate) has been a favorite of mine so far on the existing lawn and will continue to be after i renovate. The color it provides and the reduction in mowing are great. It required me being able to come up with a solution to quickly and accurately precision spray a large yard. Using a mounted sprayer, adding a pressure regulator, adding a speedometer to the tractor, and making a 5 nozzle teejet boom have made me feel very comfortable spraying.
I looked that stuff up and wow that stuff is pricey $200-$300

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.