Lawn Care Forum banner

Kolbasz's 2018 Lawn Journal

5K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  kolbasz 
#1 ·
My only thought is that I need to try an keep some order. I figure if I try to force myself to document my activities, I will know what I did and when.

I usually think these sorts of things are a good idea and then quickly get lazy and forget to mark things, so we will see how it goes.

First cut of the year, while I am usually quick to take HOC up, this year, I want to take it down (at least in the beginning):

2" HOC

Second mow of the year (04/21/2018), took things down to 1.5" HOC:

04/28/2018:
Third mow of the season at 1.5" HOC
Applied Prodiamine at .37oz/M

05/02/2018
Starter Fertilizer 18/24/12

05/04/2018
2" HOC

05/05/2018
Tenacity .55oz/M
PGR .5oz/M

05/09/2018
2" HOC Front
2.5" HOC back

05/18/2018
2" HOC Front
2.5" HOC back

08/12/2018
.27oz/M Prodiamine application for fall

08/19/2018
PGR .75oz/M

08/20/2018
.33#N/M (29-0-4 15# total)

See less See more
#5 ·
1 week. It has been so cold it didnt grow that much Saturday to Saturday.

The biggest battle was the dew. I started things in the evening Friday and things were clumping (I was side discharging), so I resumed Saturday once the sun came out and things started to dry up. Ended up bagging the clippings, but overall I was not taking a ton off the top. Worst case, shorten the window if your time allows and do it after 2-3 days if you are concerned. Overall though, I think it is early enough that you should not have too much issue.

#11 ·
kolbasz said:
I am planning my 3rd mow this weekend, just confirming that this places me in line to start PGR as I am past 2 mows.

If I am going to keep it shorter, I do not want to miss the window.
You should be good to apply this weekend as long as it is two real mows where you were getting clippings and the whole lawn was getting a trim. There is no window where it needs to get applied. So if it doesn't get done this weekend, you can do it next weekend without issue as well.

#17 ·
I have to say I am really liking my venture with PGR. It is the greatest stuff ever and so far is doing a great job suppressing my cut count.

I am normally on a 2x a week schedule at this time. Last week had to travel a bit, so I didn't cut till Friday, so 9 days between mows. It was a little long, but nothing side discharge and double cutting did not resolve. It was great! Have my second app (3 weeks) due this week, weather permitting.

#18 ·
2.5 weeks after tenacity, I have good bleaching.

It looks more yellow on the black, but it is certainly bleaching out, not quite sure what it is, might be similar to what @critterdude311 was seeing and able to treat with quinclorac. I am planing to tenacity again to see if it keeps bleaching and dying or what not. Time will tell.

#19 ·
@kolbasz Looking great! I didn't realize you were so close to me. I'm jealous of the 2" cut. My yards a bit too uneven for that. The stuff in the next to last picture I have popping up. Haven't treated it yet though.

#20 ·
pennstater2005 said:
@kolbasz Looking great! I didn't realize you were so close to me. I'm jealous of the 2" cut. My yards a bit too uneven for that. The stuff in the next to last picture I have popping up. Haven't treated it yet though.
yeah, i am just gonna keep on with the tenacity, since I have it and see where it gets me. Plus the wife didnt complain about the bleaching, so thats like a green light to spray it again.

#21 ·
kolbasz said:

It looks more yellow on the black, but it is certainly bleaching out, not quite sure what it is, might be similar to what @critterdude311 was seeing and able to treat with quinclorac. I am planing to tenacity again to see if it keeps bleaching and dying or what not. Time will tell.
I think that is goose grass. I have a ton of it this year. Tenacity bleached it the first time I put it on, but it didn't kill any of it.

#22 ·
steveocy said:
kolbasz said:

I think that is goose grass. I have a ton of it this year. Tenacity bleached it the first time I put it on, but it didn't kill any of it.
According to Tennessee turf tenacity should control it. Guess I will hit it again and see, if that's what it is anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.