Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely this annoys some others here: despite having correct amount of mulch and a pretty good sized concrete flowerbed barrier, mulch always ends up on the sidewalk, on the lawn, etc. I don't want to get a lawn vacuum, but I will so help me... :cool:

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
I've switched to rubber mulch and so far it's held in there pretty good. I get a few piece in the lawn every now and then but nothing to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
csbutler said:
I've been thinking about switching to rubber mulch. How well does it hold its color?
This is my first year with it but it says it has a 12 year color guarantee. It got great reviews on Lowe's.com.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I'll do rubber mulch at next springs "cleaning". It's just annoying to have to pick it up almost every day. Some days I know my kids play with it and sometimes it's rain but I swear I could have a full-time job picking it up. And I don't want to dull my new reel...

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
This is the stuff that I used and got at Lowe's Rubberific Shredded Mulch

It looks like the real thing and seems to stay put so far like I said before. I have noticed that some of it got thrown out by the irrigation heads but it was minimal at best and I don't worry about the reel so much while mowing either.

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
ahartzell said:
That rubber mulch stuff is expensive!
J_nick said:
Initially it is but if it lasts 12 years then it would end up being much less in the long run
Yes, it is expensive initially but I figure if I can get 3-4 years out of it then my ROI (Return On Investment) is a win :thumbup: Plus all the labor of having to put the new mulch in every year too. I may need to add a bag or two every so often to thicken up thin areas but I don't see that as an issue.

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
Ware said:
Has anyone here done rubber mulch in bulk? I'm afraid the box store bags would be cost prohibitive for the number of beds I have. Something like this?
I steered away from it because they don't offer shredded which looks better than the crumb rubber.

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
Ware said:
So have you seen shredded in bulk?
I don't think so. The crumb is also cheaper. I also get 10% off at Lowe's so that helped soften the blow a little.

I just checked Lowe's and they do have it in bulk but it's more expensive for some reason unless my math is off.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I bought the cheaper "crumbs" in bulk: 2000 lb bag, about $550 delivered. They also sold shredded mulch in bulk, but my wallet wasn't fat enough. I'd have to find the receipt to remember where I bought it, but it was an online order.

Also, three years later, it's still as black as it was when I got it. (It was "painted" black, not just the black from an old tire.)

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Would I buy it again? Maybe.

If you have permanent beds that won't move/change for a decade, that have a good retention wall around them, it would probably be okay. I decided to remove the mulch around some of the trees in the backyard and am still paying the price for it. I liken it to gravel: one gravel bed means you and your reel will find it in the grass for years to come. Shoveling it out and getting rid of it was an absolute pain in the hind-end.

Otherwise, I like how it is set-and-forget. It passes water to the soil perfectly, doesn't get bugs, stays dark, and doesn't float.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I may get some rubber mulch next go around. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to modify any existing flower beds or add new ones. Have some shade spots that don't give the Bermuda enough son but not sure they all would look good with flower beds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was thinking of spray painting my mulch until i saw the cost of spray paint was about 15 dollars per can in my area. I was able to get mine from the local saw mill for $30 per (IKEA type) trailer load. I took 3 loads myself. I have a broad yard. I shoveled that mulch 4x. I couldn't believe it. In the trailer, out of the trailer, out to the spot it should be at, into the spot it should be at. Im over it! Anyways not proud of the light color. That was the point of my post.

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
dfw_pilot said:
Would I buy it again? Maybe.

If you have permanent beds that won't move/change for a decade, that have a good retention wall around them, it would probably be okay. I decided to remove the mulch around some of the trees in the backyard and am still paying the price for it. I liken it to gravel: one gravel bed means you and your reel will find it in the grass for years to come. Shoveling it out and getting rid of it was an absolute pain in the hind-end.

Otherwise, I like how it is set-and-forget. It passes water to the soil perfectly, doesn't get bugs, stays dark, and doesn't float.
I know what you mean with the whole gravel thing as I originally put in some crushed brick into my beds hoping it would keep the weeds out and everything but that obviously never happened and the brick slowly began sinking into the dirt but to this day I still curse the damn brick pieces because they are always finding their way into the lawn but thankfully I am able to spot most of them before running them over with the reel as they are red and kind of stick out on the green grass. That is one advantage I like with the rubber mulch is that if I do run over a piece and doesn't do any damage to the reel since it is soft.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.