Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2285 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Do you have a John Deere greens mower and have a question about working on it? Do you have something to share? Ask or share here.​

The evolution of the JD fixed head walk behind greensmower.
The 22 was made from 1987-1994,
The 220 from 1995-1996,
The 220A from 1997-2002,
The 220B from 2002-2006,
The 220C from 2007-2010, and
The 220SL from 2011-Current.

Design changes were made over the years to various parts of the mowers.

The 220 E-Cut is made from 2010-Current
It is the hybrid floating head design (QA5) of the JD walk behind greensmower.

Main resources:

- FYI Greenfarmparts sold the business to Greenville Turf. Online ordering is not as convenient. A few of the post in this thread points to greenfarmparts, but that no longer works.

- This website has a few of the technician manuals. http://www.gaturftech.com/service-manual

- Bedknife angles and options.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
Ha, I haven't even cut the whole lawn with mine yet! I scalped with my Toro, then did the irrigation project. I'm now waiting on everything to fill back in from the leveling project before I run it. I just didn't see any need to compromise the reel/bedknife on the new mower.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Hacking off the transport axels is not the easiest thing, but for me it is a must!

Used a standard Hack Saw and some elbow grease, nothing special.

I intentionally left 1.5 inches of shaft in the event I needed to make a few flat spots and wrench off the shaft for drum roller maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
I'll need to adjust a lot of the cables and springs, but the mower is pretty straight forward IMO.

Has anyone attempted maintenance on the gearbox? I did a quick search in the manuals and didn't see much about it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm still learning the ins and outs of my JD 260 B. the hardest part for me is mastering the "Pro Turns".
Red Is there an advantage to using the grooved roller over the smooth roller? I have both but I've only ever used the smooth roller.
Forgot to add I also have a very strong desire to hack off my transport axles. Unfortunately I need them though. I swear those things are like grappling hooks whenever you are anywhere close to something. Nothing better than trying to cut it super close to the deck and the next thing you know you are making a hard left turn into the mulch. :D

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Cavan806 said:
Red Is there an advantage to using the grooved roller over the smooth roller? I have both but I've only ever used the smooth roller.
I've read the grooved roller gives a more aggressive cut without a lower HOC. With the grooved roller less plant tissue is pushed down before the cut is made resulting in more plant tissue being removed. I believe the quality of cut is the same, and the difference between the 2 is only noticeable on Putting green surfaces at 0.115 HOC, or a fairway cut at 1' with a Triplex moving at 12MPH.

I've gathered this from random posts online, and a few youtube videos, no real facts I can give. :lol:

1 - 20 of 2285 Posts