Lawn Care Forum banner
161 - 178 of 178 Posts

· Registered
OKC - GM1000 - U3 Bermuda - 4000 sq ft
769 Posts
cwrx82 said:
Bombers said:
Did you have any trouble removing the wheel axles? Didn't see you mention it so you got lucky considering it sat for 4 years. I'm having a hell of a time trying every method (penetrating oil, torch, impact gun) to remove mine. Last thing I want to do is cut it off. Also bump this gem because it was fun reading through the progression.
If I remember correctly, there's a flat spot right next to the drum, inside the frame wall. Stick a wrench on that and get some heat and a breaker bar and it'll come loose. One side, don't recall which, has left hand threads.
jimbeckel said:
The right side is a reverse thread the left side is the normal counterclockwise method to remove. Orientation is from the rear of the mower as though you would be mowing.
I have no problem with the set up. It's the removing part lol. I think mine is rust welded on.

· Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Bombers said:
cwrx82 said:
Bombers said:
Did you have any trouble removing the wheel axles? Didn't see you mention it so you got lucky considering it sat for 4 years. I'm having a hell of a time trying every method (penetrating oil, torch, impact gun) to remove mine. Last thing I want to do is cut it off. Also bump this gem because it was fun reading through the progression.
If I remember correctly, there's a flat spot right next to the drum, inside the frame wall. Stick a wrench on that and get some heat and a breaker bar and it'll come loose. One side, don't recall which, has left hand threads.
jimbeckel said:
The right side is a reverse thread the left side is the normal counterclockwise method to remove. Orientation is from the rear of the mower as though you would be mowing.
I have no problem with the set up. It's the removing part lol. I think mine is rust welded on.
My neighbor had trouble getting his axles off, get a wrench on the axle and have someone hold onto the mower and kick the wrench until the axle breaks free, worked for me. Those axles seize up with all of the moisture and chemicals the mower picks up over the years.

· Registered
280 Posts
g01fer41ife said:
jimbeckel said:
Work progressing nicely, side covers replaced along with most of the fuel related components. Started it up and engaged the rear drum and reel successfully. Will be stripping the unit down to the frame and repainting and going over everything with a high attention to detail.

I am looking for replacement side covers for my GM1000. Could you provide me with where you purchased your new side pieces? Great work! I am gearing up to restore mine as well. Also, looking for decals. I have messaged Jerry Pate to see if they are still able to get decals. I work on Redstone Arsenal so I am using most of my resources in the Huntsville area for trying to get replacement parts/Toro Dealers. I believe you mentioned that you found another place that you ordered parts from that was cheaper than going through the Toro Dealer?
Call Chris at General Turf Equipment in Rutherfordton NC for side covers. He probably has 100 parts mowers and anything you could ever need second hand. Also a very very knowledgeable guy when it comes to turf equipment.

· Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
williams6966 said:
What did you do for the striped holes in the aluminum for the side covers?
The side covers bolt up to rivnuts which are similar to pop rivets. You would need to buy some 1/4 20 riv nuts and a rivnut tool. I bought the rivnuts at northern tool and the actual tool at Harbor Freight. The rivnuts loosen up over time after taking the covers off repeatedly, it is a fairly easy fix to replace the nuts.

· Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
williams6966 said:
Can you tell me what size socket you found to fit the reel on side opposite the square drive to remove that nut....and what did you find best to keep the reel from turning when trying to remove
I will have to look at the size of the nut opposite the square drive side, I don't recall off of the top of my head. I wedged a piece of scrap wood in the reel to keep it from moving, worked great.

· Premium Member
710 Posts
I will have to look at the size of the nut opposite the square drive side, I don't recall off of the top of my head. I wedged a piece of scrap wood in the reel to keep it from moving, worked great.
Did you have difficulty getting that nut off? I have the right size socket on a breaker bar and cannot budge the thing. I have used penetrating oil, torched it, etc. It literally is the one piece on the whole mower that I can't free. Watched Lawn Tools rebuild and he had the same issue, which he ended up taking it to a mechanic to remove. I am almost to that point, but if you have any tips on that I'd appreciate it!

Edit: didn't realize it has been over a year since this thread was active, so I apologize for the bump on this.

· Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,577 Posts
Did you have difficulty getting that nut off? I have the right size socket on a breaker bar and cannot budge the thing. I have used penetrating oil, torched it, etc. It literally is the one piece on the whole mower that I can't free. Watched Lawn Tools rebuild and he had the same issue, which he ended up taking it to a mechanic to remove. I am almost to that point, but if you have any tips on that I'd appreciate it!

Edit: didn't realize it has been over a year since this thread was active, so I apologize for the bump on this.
How long of a breaker bar did you use? Did you use a cheater pipe? Is it left or right handed thread?

· Premium Member
5,160 Posts
I am at this point in my replacing the reel on my GM1000. The nut is a 1 1/4". I'm going to use an 18" breaker bar but I will borrow a friends impact wrench if needed. Everything so far has been tight but not too difficult to break loose. The service manual doesn't say anything about reverse threads so I'm assuming it is standard thread.

· Premium Member
710 Posts
I also used an 18" breaker bar with a 4ish foot cheater pipe. Thinking about picking up a cheap pneumatic impact, as I have a large compressor, and seeing if this does the trick. The only thing that my breaker bar broke is itself. I think trying to break this nut loose before removing everything else would have been a wise move, as the weight of the rest of the machine would stabilize it a bit. I have literally been standing on my reel to try hold it in place (which I'm not that concerned about since I am replacing the reel anyways), but the opposite side is still rocking off the ground.
Gas Plumbing fixture Plumbing Light fixture Plumbing valve

· Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
I bought the dewalt 20volt 1/2 impact and that thing removes all stuck nuts, if I recall I bought a 1/2 breaker bar from Hobo Freight and used an extension pipe for more leverage. Glad you were able to remove it @jskierko

161 - 178 of 178 Posts