Lawn Care Forum banner
121 - 140 of 178 Posts

· Registered
2,262 Posts
jimbeckel said:
TN Hawkeye said:
jimbeckel said:
thanks for the kind words, I have developed my mechanical skills over a lifetime, I probably couldn't have done this ten years ago as I have developed more patience. I'll have a lawn journal in the spring, I am going to level my yard with sand and start using my rebuilt toy.
I look forward to seeing it. It's especially nice that an Illini and a Hawkeye can interact maturely. I'm a big fan of Lovie Smith. I hope you guys get things turned around... just not enough to beat us.
The Illini football and basketball teams have been terrible for a long time, the basketball team was awesome under coach Self in 2004-05 and the football team has been bad for far longer. How long have you lived in TN? We moved down to Huntsville Al. For work in 2014 which really has worked out well for my wife and me, eventually we will retire to NC where we have bought some land.
I've been here over 20 years. I really like the area. My wife is from near here so she has a strong connection to it. North Carolina is beautiful. Not many states have beaches and mountains.

· Premium Member
472 Posts
jimbeckel said:
walk1355 said:
jimbeckel said:
What kind of shape is the Toro in?
It's not too bad. I've seen worse.
If you plan on keeping the Toro, I have some leftover parts that you are welcome to have, got some bearings, carb rebuilt kit and other misc. parts. PM me if you want them.
@jimbeckel I will take you up on that. Starting to work on the 1000 I acquired and it needs both a carburetor and the air filter housing. How do you want me to get them from you?

· Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Loved looking through his thread, very informative. I have a GM1000 and 1600 coming tonight from the Weeks auction. Looking forward to seeing what all the greens mower fuss is all about. I'm sure I have quite a few long nights in the garage in my future. Looking forward to it though. All I know now is that there is very old gas in them, we will see what else is wrong.

Thanks again for the great thread!

· Registered
129 Posts
SGrabs33 said:
Loved looking through his thread, very informative. I have a GM1000 and 1600 coming tonight from the Weeks auction. Looking forward to seeing what all the greens mower fuss is all about. I'm sure I have quite a few long nights in the garage in my future. Looking forward to it though. All I know now is that there is very old gas in them, we will see what else is wrong.

Welcome to the club! Beware. For some of us it has become an addiction and a sickness. I can't imagine a time in my future when I don't have a passion for reel mowers and Bermuda grass. It will change your perspective about life, relationships, God... well its a bigger deal to some than others. But have fun with it and don't stress.

· Super Moderator
2,342 Posts
SGrabs33 said:

Nice! :thumbup: Might need your help picking one up too in the future. :lol:

· Premium Member
2,506 Posts
jimbeckel said:
I broke a part on the float that I was unable to buy separately, it I didn't want to buy a new carb, had no other choice
Ah, got ya. Thanks. And thanks for the info on firedog. It looks like they have some of the cheaper parts I've seen.

· Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
SGrabs33 said:
jimbeckel said:
I broke a part on the float that I was unable to buy separately, it I didn't want to buy a new carb, had no other choice
Ah, got ya. Thanks. And thanks for the info on firedog. It looks like they have some of the cheaper parts I've seen.
Firedog was the cheapest I found and shipping was really quick.

· Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
WarEagle26 said:
Man, I don't know how I haven't seen this thread until now. Great job, @jimbeckel! Loved reading through this and seeing the transformation.
I just mowed with it for the first time a week or so ago. It works really well, was a fun project. Thanks

· Premium Member
2,506 Posts
jimbeckel said:
WarEagle26 said:
Man, I don't know how I haven't seen this thread until now. Great job, jimbeckel! Loved reading through this and seeing the transformation.
I just mowed with it for the first time a week or so ago. It works really well, was a fun project. Thanks
Still waiting for you to start that lawn journal you said you would :thumbup:

Did you gave to clean up the inside of the tank on yours at all? Rust?

· Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
SGrabs33 said:
jimbeckel said:
WarEagle26 said:
Man, I don't know how I haven't seen this thread until now. Great job, jimbeckel! Loved reading through this and seeing the transformation.

I do need to start my journal, I have been working 12 hour days for two weeks coming off of a quick trip to NC for a family visit and dropping off a tru cut that I sold to a member in Charlotte. There was no rust in the tank just a thick layer of "varnish" gas. My back yard which is zoysia seems to be taking a long time to green up, the front bermuda is looking pretty decent. I will start a journal as soon as my job slows down a little.

· Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
jimbeckel said:
SGrabs33 said:
jimbeckel said:

I do need to start my journal, I have been working 12 hour days for two weeks coming off of a quick trip to NC for a family visit and dropping off a tru cut that I sold to a member in Charlotte. There was no rust in the tank just a thick layer of "varnish" gas. My back yard which is zoysia seems to be taking a long time to green up, the front bermuda is looking pretty decent. I will start a journal as soon as my job slows down a little.
How far is Apex from Southern Pines/Pinehurst area? My wife and I bought five acres in West End NC which will be our retirement home

· Premium Member
2,506 Posts
jimbeckel said:
jimbeckel said:
SGrabs33 said:

How far is Apex from Southern Pines/Pinehurst area? My wife and I bought five acres in West End NC which will be our retirement home
Nice! A little less than an hour. Pretty much just up U.S. 1 from that area.

Thanks, my tanks had some rust in them. I am trying out the white vinegar method with them. We will see. Thanks.

· Registered
458 Posts
Amazing project and nice work.

Couple questions, my OCD would drive me nuts to have taken everything apart and not have replaced an engine with significant commercial use while at it. How much would a replacement have cost? Are you even able to find one?

Also, did you paint or powder coat? Any reasons not to powder coat?

· Registered
402 Posts
If you don't mind another slightly off topic question, any idea the limit of a Greensmaster on hills? Tru-Cut does fine with it but it has tires in the rear. My smaller Tru-Cut did not like running along the hill, felt like it wanted to slide down so I normally cut at an angle. Anyhow, sorry to be off topic, and I enjoyed the read of the other posts.

121 - 140 of 178 Posts